Any young people on here?

For pub meet-ups and the like.
BCJ

Re: Any young people on here?

Post by BCJ »

I think the youngest should be the ones to flood the street the most.

I saw that in Spain and Italy and can't figure out why people here seem to like to stay home like forever!
Those who can't attend the Uni should rise up and take to the street every day.

Why is it so difficult? Just do it ffs!
I've been going out and travelled, no mask for year and no problems.
The only big issue is when shops and venues close and you can only go to friends' place.

I said it in another message and I repeat it. Use Telegram, create a group or join one already there and get organized!

camcanary

Post by camcanary »

jjjj wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:50 pm
watfordladwill wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:46 pm I'm in my mid twenties and find a surprising amount of people our age are against the lockdown but just have never even considered articulating or properly forming their opinions on it. It baffles me, but I think it may be a consequence of young people not being homeowners / having as large a stake in society as in previous generations.
Sounds familiar! Though I'm not sure it's a consequence of not having "as large a stake"... I think it's the old adage: good times produce weak men etc.
Totally agree with watfordladwill's initial observation here - I find it maddening - but think jjjj is much more on the money regarding the reason. I would also like to add that our generation has been subject to a creeping infantilisation of consciousness for years which has subsequently contributed to lack of critical thinking, sense of autonomy etc.

jjjj

Post by jjjj »

yes, camcanary. that plus I think many of our generation--being the first "digital natives"--are addicted to their nonceflix/justeat/asos etc. and are generally happy enough not to leave their home as long as they have an internet connection. Sweeping generalisation of course, but I think it holds some water. Certainly, I don't see that many of my peers (openly) speaking ill of the current situation, which only makes it more difficult to mentally cope with lockdown. Thank God for sites like this so that you know you aren't alone at least...

Ben Shirley

Post by Ben Shirley »

I think you're spot-on, jjjj. The number of people my age who don't have any kind of hobby or interest is infuriating. There seem to be so many people, not necessarily all young, who think being paid to lie in bed watching Netflix or scrolling through Buzzfeed is the life of Riley, and whose egos are tickled at the thought of 'saving lives' by slowly growing old and corpulent.

As Huxley wrote, “A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude.”

jjjj

Post by jjjj »

hahaha yes, hadn't thought about it like that, these people must think it's the easiest virtue signaling they've ever done. complete inaction == saving society/lives. so easy to accept it if that's one's mentality. so malleable for the ruling class too.

Bremer dan Gorst

Post by Bremer dan Gorst »

Ben Shirley wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:43 am I think you're spot-on, jjjj. The number of people my age who don't have any kind of hobby or interest is infuriating. There seem to be so many people, not necessarily all young, who think being paid to lie in bed watching Netflix or scrolling through Buzzfeed is the life of Riley, and whose egos are tickled at the thought of 'saving lives' by slowly growing old and corpulent.

As Huxley wrote, “A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude.”
Speaking as a millennial (just about, born 1985) I find it a sad indictment of my generation and the next generation (the so called "zoomers") that the most popular content online amongst them consists of so-called "influencers" showing off their subsidised make up and fast fashion. There's nothing educational, informative, or entertaining about this. They might as well just be listlessly watching a TV channel that is constant adverts.

(My favourite YouTube channel right now? Techmoan. A middle aged Northerner reviews and repairs old or unusual hi fi gear.)

staminat

Post by staminat »

Hey everyone :) I'm 27, here's my lockdown story

March - June

I was very vocal antilock down from the very beginning, I looked at the death statics coming out of Italy and saw that the media where clearly fanning the flames of Hysteria. In March I had a number of people crying down the phone to me saying they are going to die and I was like "yes we are all going to die at some point 😂, but not of COVID" (they are my age). I even saw MMA fighters people I saw as tough minded turning into right divas 😂 Oh that clapping thing started, it was like a open aired cult people clapping and cheering at the sky. I didn't clap once even though I had allot of social pressure, surprised I didn't get arrested. Got rid of Facebook and Instgram so I come off socials all together, I prefer face to face debates.

Just before I left uni I spoke to my professor, who like my thought it was overblown (I was a vocal skeptic everyone knew) and sooner or later the media would catch on (little did we know we'd be in this for over a year 😂). Whilst everyone else in my class where being hysterical I stood my ground and laughed and showed them stastics to lighten there mood, the media overload was too for them much they got caught in the piers morgan driven hysteria. I went home from university after 6 weeks and my family/freinds where totally hysterical, my aunty screaming about the scary virus was memorable. She said don't you care about people dying, I countered that with the millions (now 250 million) across the world condemned to starvation because of lockdown . I stood my ground against all the hysterical attacks and didn't take it personal because I knew it wasn't the world ending disease that the media had promised. Also by the end of March I got sick of the "stay safe" at the end of each message, soo disingenuous. I was like someone save me from the diease with a 99.999999999% chance of survival (sarcasm)

July - September

July the hysteria was wearing off, people where still slightly hysterical but closer to reality. I remember my mate handing me a top that he had from before the lockdown, when he came he was wearing gloves and trembling (lovely guy but a bit pathetic) I was a bit naughty and laughed in my mind, my thoughts were "he has a better chance of being struck by lightning then dying of covid". A few women wanted me to go on "socially distanced dates", I was like nah we do it properly or not at all (they came on my terms).

Family were okay, we all went out on "Rishi's meal deal" and got fat, we were happy and no one really seemed to fear the virus, they were just giving lip service to seem virtuous. Also hanging out with mates again, we had a great summer even though everything was closed, my closest mates where 6 - 8/10 skeptical, not as skeptical as me but enough to know it's safe to leave the house 😂 In august it felt like things were going back to normally... great. But then September comes and wave two of the hysteria comes, In my head I'm like arr not this cr*p again. This time people aren't so fearful of the virus so people are more relaxed.

September - Present

We had a right dodgy fresher fair following all the "health and safety regulations", the uni tried there best to put on sport and event (looking for loopholes ect) but it was obvious they were fighting a loosing battle because Hysteria was back for round two. A friend in my class got "COVID" early on, he texted me, not going to lie I was like "you'll be fine" there was literally nothing wrong with him, so I had to self Isolate. Luckily i'm not in halls (prisons). At this point most people are quite sceptical but at the same time they aren't. They hold two very strong opinions in there head at the same time, hence their confusion.

So I'm starting to think, people aren't really scared of the virus but they are notably scared. So I put out a secret poll of my friends, they know I won't judge them or mention it EVER. I just wanted to know what they really thought. So my poll was are you scared of the virus or the government restrictions. Around 80% (including hardcore lockdown zealots) said they were afraid of the restrictions. This opened up my mind to a more sympathetic side, allot of people act so fearfully because they know the truth but they supress it and believe if they follow the rules of "press secretary Boris" enough things will be okay (even though it's illogical"

Everything up until Christmas was kind of a grey sad blur but I got though okay, Christmas was quite, I did hang out with my freinds which gave me such a lift, to see them and to fist bump and hug the lads and hug and kiss the ladies, human contact from loved ones is precious. Lockdown 3 my heart sank, couldn't even get out of bed for a few days (I'm okay now I'm a fighter have to be strong for others too). Doesn't help when there is no opposition, feels like a hopeless situation, but stay strong. I don't know how but thing will have to change, stay strong.

msgoody2shoe

Post by msgoody2shoe »

Is anyone in London? Wanna meet-up? I am an undergrad student, American, very interested in music. Would love to meet more people - London was supposed to be the most fun happening place on earth and then I arrive and it's a ghost town.

Wally

Post by Wally »

2Here, would meet up anywhere tbh. In Yorkshire though, London is expensive on't train like.

Congregationalist

Post by Congregationalist »

I'm somewhere in the first half of my 30s, does that count? ;-)