Any Americans here?

For pub meet-ups and the like.
shipwreckedat6500

Re: Any Americans here?

Post by shipwreckedat6500 »

hello jmc. thanks for your reply. ah, south lake. echo lake. lovely. i'm in truckee and can't even recall the last time i was on the south shore. ha. different world.

truckee is Fillmore at 6000'. it's ridiculous. the housing market here is booming once again. we already had a housing shortage for the service industry. now, not only have the available units shrunk dramatically, but what is available is being captured by the latino population, which doesn't mind sleeping two to a bedroom (or four, for that matter), thus leaving very few options for whitey. the market inflation is the (new normal) nasdaq 90s, and the job options have shrunk in lockstep. the downtown is very shuttered, with the exception of consumables that sufficiently alter brain chemistry. we are collectively sacrificing the known for the unknown, faith for fear, and our long-term economic viability for short-term...hmmm...what exactly? it's heartbreaking to watch.

obviously, i don't know anything about you, but at the risk of sounding arrogant, i would advise against returning to the usa, full-stop. but, if that's an absolute, then i would advise choosing any number of states before california. e.g., the appalachian spine: tn, ky, nc, wv, to the south; vt, nh, me, to the north; the northern rockies and plains: wy, mt, nd, sd, ne; or, the deep south: ak, al, la, ms. avoid, with prejudice, wa, or, ca, az, nm, tx, fl, ny, ct. i would include the midwest, i.e., ia, il, in, mo, wi, mn, mi, etc, but the governors have gone to the darkside, much like newsom and nv, az, nm, wa, or guvs. do you farm? i would make a land purchase and set up a year-round survival situation. i used to have that in maine, but gave it up for a business. mistake.

perhaps we're on very different pages, but IMO we are at war here, and the citizenry is losing very badly. it's only going to get worse, with or without newsom et al. i studied this plan, agenda 21 (now 30) when i was in college in '92, studying environmental law. this has been a long-time coming. in fact, they're behind schedule. i got off that academic track when i realized the implications and the bolshevism-marxist wolf in sustainable-sheep clothing. it's a global effort, but i think the europeans are going to have a better chance of survival than we are. we're too divided, fearful, obese, and decentralized to put up a unified front. and, since most of us are denying the existence of an enemy, we don't know at whom to point our fingers so we settle for our neighbor, red or blue.

are you a brit? how about the hebrides? idk. america is sinking. jumping on while the rats are jumping off is not a great idea.

i'm a geographer so if you want help fleshing out options here, i'd be happy to help.

have a pint for me.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Hi shipwreckedat6500

Greetings from down the hill at the end of I-80 (or will be soon enough ..).

Probably the most astute observation I have read recently about all the current mayhem is that people's level of anguish and despair depends on whether they can remember the 1960's or not. For people who are not old enough to remember the 1960's what is going on at the moment is the most confusing, scary and sometimes terrifying time they will have experienced in their lifetime. For those of us who can remember the 1960's its kind of, well, it could be worse. It could be as bad as 1968 and afterwards. That's how bad the 1960's were.

The first time the outside world impinged my childhood was the assassination of MLK in 1968 and the riots afterwards. That was the first time I saw fear and utter despair on the faces of the adults around me as city after city went up in flames in the riots that engulfed the country. And then the year got a lot lot worse. I suppose that is why the Apollo 8 Christmas message is still so special to me. I remember watching it at the time on TV, on Christmas Eve 1968, and feeling strongly that maybe it was not the end of the world. That is my only good memory of events in the outside world from that terrible year. Everything else in the news was just terrible.

Pretty much the same story with the recent huge upswing in crime in big cities like SF and LA as Prop 47/57 dismantled Three Strikes and you have utterly dangerous loons like Gascon as City DA. Just like the 1990's but still not quite as bad as the 1980's or 1970's. Yet. You might remember what downtown LA was like in the 1980's The best description I heard at the time was - Its like Belfast, but with more violence, more guns but fewer car bombs. Low intensity civil war level of violence. So not quite there yet. Although recently I have been sized up for a mugging for the first time in decades (he bailed once he realized I had his number) and myself and friend had to corner a street junkie who attacked an old guy on the street until the PD arrived. Just like in the good old days. The amusing punchline of the street junkie takedown was that he was finally cuffed at an intersection about 6 blocks from Nanci Pelosi's huge mansion in Pacific Heights.

I suppose it's because I am so familiar with the state and national history that overall I'm pretty upbeat. Because America is not politicians or politics. The politics may be vile but it always was. But the majority of people are good folk and always were. So the State is going to hell in a handbasket. Just like it has a whole bunch of times before. There will be a lot of kicking and screaming but sooner or later the bums will be thrown out. Always are. And you have few decades of goodish government until a new generation of bums evolve. And so it goes.

At the Federal level its just business as usual. As the excess of the 1960's begat Reagan so the excesses of the 1920 begat FDR and the excesses of the 1880's and 1890's begat Teddy Roosevelt. and so on. And as so many good people at the moment have the wherewithal to go grey, observe, and make plans for the next round in the battle I am pretty optimistic about the mid and long term. Short term may get messy. A ruling class in the terminal decline phase is always dangerous and liable to lash out. As they seem to be at the moment.

I am one of those multinationals with family all over Europe and the British Isles but by this stage all my friends and the people I care about are on the West Coast. I have strong connections to the PNW but my heart is very much planted in the Central Coast of California. I have a long history in the Bay Area and have known SoCal and LA so long I still only remember the freeways by name not number. But where I most want to be is nestled in the brown rolling live oak landscape as it meets the ocean. That's the place I know inside out. Know its history going back to way before the Californios arrived. Know its peoples and it moods. And know that is where I feel most comfortable and at peace with the world.

Sure the state may be a crazy place. Full of crazy people. But it always was. Its either something in the water, or more likely, its that magical light than makes the landscape glow. Like absolutely nowhere else on Gods earth. And knocks everything and everybody ever so slightly off kilter.

So lets all the sing the new state song - California Uber Alles, by the Dead Kennedys..

BangedUpAbroad

Post by BangedUpAbroad »

Hi, I'm an Americn and have lived in LA a couple times. Class action suit ? OK. BUT MUCH Better would be multiple (and numerous) individual suits.

Look into how The Church of Scientology gained religion status with the IRS (thereby making it tax exempt). It did not sue the IRS; it had over 30 of its members sue the IRS INDIVIDUALLY; 30+ individual lawsuits. The IRS was overwhelmed with paperwork, went to the Church of Scientology on it's knees begging that if it would only get its members to drop the suits that the IRS would grant it religion/tax-free status. Contrast that to the IRS' initial response when the Church of Scientology applied for religion status (it laughed them out of the room).

And keep in mind that (unlike suits re: the lockdown, which have substance) those suits by definition were nuisance suits (in other words they'd never have succeeded if they went to court).

Be smart.

BangedUpAbroad

Post by BangedUpAbroad »

Hi, I'm an Americn and have lived in LA a couple times. Class action suit ? OK. BUT MUCH Better would be multiple (and numerous) individual suits.

Look into how The Church of Scientology gained religion status with the IRS (thereby making it tax exempt). It did not sue the IRS; it had over 30 of its members sue the IRS INDIVIDUALLY; 30+ individual lawsuits. The IRS was overwhelmed with paperwork, went to the Church of Scientology on it's knees begging that if it would only get its members to drop the suits that the IRS would grant it religion/tax-free status. Contrast that to the IRS' initial response when the Church of Scientology applied for religion status (it laughed them out of the room).

And keep in mind that (unlike suits re: the lockdown, which have substance) those suits by definition were nuisance suits (in other words they'd never have succeeded if they went to court).

Be smart.