What Have We Achieved?

Rudolph Rigger

What Have We Achieved?

Post by Rudolph Rigger »

We’re about 11 months into our 3-week plan to flatten the curve to protect the NHS and what have we achieved? What have we gained and what have we lost?

Curiously, it’s much harder to figure out what we’ve gained. The only “achievements” seem to have been over 100,000 dead and an economy that the acronym fubar doesn’t really fully describe.

Oh – we saved the NHS. Allegedly. And here’s the problem in trying to figure out what we’ve gained in this whole farcical year. The arguments mostly rely on how much worse things would have been if we hadn’t had such a hard-on for lockdowns. And yet none of those dire predictions of doom and gloom happened in the few places which retained some semblance of proportionality and didn’t lockdown. It’s almost as if the models we relied upon to inform our policy were as much use as a chocolate jockstrap – fascinating and fun in a weird sort of way but totally useless for purpose.

We, along with most other countries, decided to run with an experimental treatment to deal with an outbreak of a rather nasty flu-like virus. Against all previous advice and medical opinion we decided that lockdowns and masks were the way forward. But as the excellent Dr John Lee pointed out in a recent interview, one doesn’t invoke an experimental new procedure without due consideration of the potential side effects. These side effects, the terrible consequences of lockdown, seem to have been almost blithely ignored, swept under the covid carpet.

And despite the media spin, these side effects are not directly due to the virus, but are a direct consequence of our response to it.

What about these side effects? The losses? What we’ve lost is all too painfully evident. That light at the end of the tunnel isn’t the way out, it’s the out-of-control train of our wrecked economy heading towards us – fast. It’s going to hit hard. Some will survive, even thrive, but many will not.

When Boris finally manages to pin down those goalposts and let us out to play in a responsible socially-distanced manner (with masks) we’ll breathe a muffled sigh of thankful relief. The grateful populace will sink to their knees offering their heartfelt prayers to the God of Lockdown for His benevolence in allowing us just a sliver of those freedoms we once took for granted to return. Our loss of liberty and freedoms being just one, amongst many, of the other consequential losses of lockdown.

I hope I’m wrong about the economy. Take heart – I usually am wrong about such things. However, I can’t see how we can escape from this without some serious financial consequences.

The lockdown losses have been detailed in so many places – far too many heart-breaking stories to contemplate which, compounded with the equally heart-breaking loss of life due to covid itself, make for a very depressing year.

We’ve also lost something of inestimable worth; our sense of balance and perspective. It’s as if, in our fear, we forgot that the value we find in our lives is made up of a whole intricate web of things. We’ve allocated almost all of our sense of value to covid deaths and forgotten that other things are of value too.

There must be many families in the UK where an elderly parent or grandparent has died this year. How many of those people died without having been able to spend time with the people who made their lives worth living? Lockdown didn’t save them did it? It just prevented something of inestimable value from happening; those last, oh so precious, days and moments with those who have nurtured and loved us all of our lives.

We’ve lost our ability to reason, to debate. Any dissenting voice shouted down, or censored as “misinformation”. What have we become? How did we allow this to happen? Progress, and especially scientific progress, is utterly dependent on our ability to question, to vigorously debate and to challenge. Are we moving forward into an era where the government dictates the truth for us?

Yes we’ve lost a lot and “gained” almost nothing. I fear that things will never fully return to normal.

miahoneybee

Re: What Have We Achieved?

Post by miahoneybee »

Excellent post RR. Nothing to add as you said it all and I agree with all you covered in your heartfelt post. Very dark and sad times this madness has and continues to cause while the abusers hide away and leave the confused sheep and bedwetters stumbling blindly having achieved the brainwashing and if they start to wake hit them with more fear..more propaganda and more head games until they are completely subservient to their masters then the 'build back better bullshit" begins..

Rudolph Rigger

Post by Rudolph Rigger »

miahoneybee wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:05 pm . . . and leave the confused sheep and bedwetters stumbling blindly having achieved the brainwashing and if they start to wake hit them with more fear..more propaganda and more head games . . .
Thanks for the kind words Mia.

I am fortunate enough to be staying with my daughter and her husband during Lockdown 3. I nearly broke their TV the other night. I saw the "look them in the eyes" thing for the first time. It took some effort not to throw my dinner plate, food and all. Utterly disgusting and reprehensible propaganda - twisted, sick and perverted in my view. Abhorrent and despicable.

I need to get another Thesaurus - I've run out of words :D

And then you have those clowns at Imperial telling us there'll be another 130,000 deaths this Summer if we're not careful. What is wrong with these buffoons? I got my doctorate from Imperial - I'm considering hiding that fact - from shame.

The endless and emotive utter crap I'm seeing on the BBC is beyond belief. It's awful. I can't quite grasp just how low we, as a nation, have sunk.

sorearm

Post by sorearm »

Absolute spot on post Rudolph

Fudge

Post by Fudge »

I’m right there also RR and your utter frustration is acknowledged.

Ex Military Veteran retrained Psychotherapist working with abused children and more recently private practice until last year when overnight ‘endex’. Now unemployed (correction, 1 client), with no financial support as my private practice is less than 2 years and I left salaried just over 2 years ago so house up for sale and desperate to move very rural and as off grid self sustainable as possible.
I’m aware of 4 people who have sadly committed suicide yet no Covid issues with anyone, not even any of my mothers +80 year old friends living in a retirement complex. From a military perspective I can see text book role out of divide and conquer. I’m aware that veterans aged upto 50 have been approached to see if they would be recalled. I’m plus 50 so not me but even if they did they can stick it! From a psychological perspective I recognised something was not adding up about 2 weeks into lockup 1 when I started ‘listening’ to the Lectern announcements etc as if those presenting were my clients. It’s not so much what people say it’s what is not said. The Tells.
The propaganda is shocking and an absolute violation of the Code Of Ethics taken by psychologists and like you my frustration is at times palpable despite no amount of psychological training.
I’m comfortable with my mortality/death but the relentless constriction of liberties, psychological re-engineering and biosecurity measures are very real and concerning. What’s happened to thriving not just surviving?
What have we achieved? The Government and its backers a great deal. The Sheeple a false sense and/or notion of security and safety, the people..I class myself here and would say that I like to be kissed before I get f****d (over).

Occamsrazor

Post by Occamsrazor »

Great Post rr.
I feel exactly the same way.

Rudolph Rigger

Post by Rudolph Rigger »

Fudge wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:51 pm I’m right there also RR and your utter frustration is acknowledged.
Yes, I am frustrated and angry - and somewhat bewildered.

I simply can't make a lot of coherent sense of what's going on. I oscillate between extreme anger at the catastrophic experimental "treatment" of lockdowns and a more reflective "what the hell am I missing here?" kind of thinking.

Throughout this panic-demic we've been reacting as if we're facing an Ebola-level threat instead of the flu-like threat covid actually is.

We might expect governments to be somewhat free and loose with the truth - after all, finding an honest politician is about as rare as a covid death in the under 20's. It's possible to find one, but you have to look pretty hard.

I'm not trying to be tasteless there - merely trying to emphasize that covid represents an extraordinarily low risk for the young and healthy. And even though the risk rises as we get older - it's still pretty low for the under 70's.

There have been so many things throughout this farce that haven't stacked up in the "official" narrative. At least not for me. This worries me. I am a scientist - although with no particular expertise in medical matters. I'm looking at the data and I can't make any sense of the government's over-reaction. And not just in the UK, either. I keep asking myself what in the name of Batman's balls am I missing here? I still haven't been able to find it.

It's not just the government either. The recent Imperial prediction of 130,000 deaths over Summer is just insane. Are they on drugs? It's getting to Monty Python levels of absurdity - except it's not funny.
Ex Military Veteran retrained Psychotherapist working with abused children and more recently private practice until last year when overnight ‘endex’. Now unemployed (correction, 1 client), with no financial support as my private practice is less than 2 years and I left salaried just over 2 years ago so house up for sale and desperate to move very rural and as off grid self sustainable as possible.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you can make things work out. Another casualty of this cruel and idiotic lockdown strategy :cry:
From a psychological perspective I recognised something was not adding up about 2 weeks into lockup 1 when I started ‘listening’ to the Lectern announcements etc as if those presenting were my clients. It’s not so much what people say it’s what is not said. The Tells.
The propaganda is shocking and an absolute violation of the Code Of Ethics taken by psychologists and like you my frustration is at times palpable despite no amount of psychological training.
The propaganda and misinformation has been one of the most shocking things to me. When Witless and Unbalanced perpetrated what was, in my view, scientific fraud during their now infamous 4,000 deaths a day briefing I was truly shocked. These charlatans aren't just representing the government but also representing "science" - utterly disgraceful behaviour from these two contemptuous clowns.
What’s happened to thriving not just surviving?
I think a lot of people have been "OK" during lockdown - they can work from home - they have decent places to live - they can still keep those Amazon orders rolling in for that new croquet set they've seen, or the latest model spiralizer for their kitchen.

Problem is there are also an awful lot of people who are not so fortunate - and who must be very close to the edge now. I think there's going to be a new underclass developing - the largely forgotten victims of lockdown.

miahoneybee

Post by miahoneybee »

RR I have always thought of this as smokescreen for the bigger picture of what's really going on..the confusion I believe is deliberate. Keep the masses confused and distracted.
I watched a very disturbing and terrifying ( 5.30 hrs) film yesterday. I didnt realise it was that long when I started watching it but I then wanted to see it all. It has left me shell shocked but really opened my eyes far more than they have been. I remain open minded on it all but I do think there is a much bigger agenda going on here sadly.

Rudolph Rigger

Post by Rudolph Rigger »

miahoneybee wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:46 am I have always thought of this as smokescreen for the bigger picture of what's really going on..the confusion I believe is deliberate. Keep the masses confused and distracted . . . .
I remain open minded on it all but I do think there is a much bigger agenda going on here sadly.
Yes Mia, it's sometimes hard to avoid thinking there is something else going on, some hidden agenda. The policies and pronouncements and propaganda are really quite outlandish and irrational.

But at the moment I think most of it has arisen through fear and an irrational drive to "control" a virus through policy, or the ludicrous and bonkers push for zero covid.

I'm sure some actors are doing their best to take advantage of a crisis (and much of this is a crisis of our own making caused by our disastrous response to a flu-like pandemic) - but I don't think there's some worldwide sinister agenda behind it all. At least I don't think that yet - but given the absurdity of the response from most countries it really is hard not to think in terms of some nefarious hidden purpose to it all at times.

Jvr

Post by Jvr »

Very well written post RR, I agree with all you say.
Since last August I have personally known 11 people who have died.....mostly elderly friends and family, but not one with or from COVID.
This week I went to the funeral of the latest ‘passing’ and I found it so utterly depressing to be amongst 30 or so masked faces. My husband and I were the only ones present without face coverings. We met up with relatives we hadn’t seen for a while....we could give them a smile but no hugs to show them we cared. We were all spread yards apart from each other, it was such a cold, soulless occasion.
Everything about the lockdowns has been negative for me and I suspect it has for many others.