Awaiting wisdom from on high

FreedomofAssociation

Awaiting wisdom from on high

Post by FreedomofAssociation »

Think it's time to "tune out and turn on." It feels as if corrosive thinking results if we (1) pay much attention to media in this hysterical time, and (2) keep on focusing on lockdown (evil though it is) instead of on positive living.

My household has been badly cooped up and sour on lockdown, but we decided to take a long drive and go walking in a big unfamiliar public space an hour's drive from our home, in an effort to break the trend of habitual negativity. What we found was a large number of people who, walking like us, did not seem concerned. Yes, the cafes required us to wear masks, order outside, and did not allow seating, but it's humdrum honestly. No one we saw acted paranoid.

We need to avoid losing ourselves in this moment, avoid letting ourselves become defined internally as oppositionists. An oppositionist is defined by that which he or she opposes, much as a slave is known in reference to the master. Lockdown is not my master.

Meanwhile, we await the great "roadmap" from Boris. I will read about it, of course, but it turns my stomach and twists my brain to see the media waiting with such eager expectation about what we will be "allowed" to do when, by diktat. The dictator will opens his mouth, faeces will spew out, and everyone will debate the quality of the faeces. Stupid.

Fudge

Re: Awaiting wisdom from on high

Post by Fudge »

Fourteen months ago this website, forum and 100’000’s hours put into it quite possibly would have been labelled stupid if talked about as a big group at a pub with booze, sharing Tapa’s and singing to the jukebox. But look at where we are now. I respect what you need to do to hold yourself and family together in some way that remains functional so this is more a general response. I absolutely refuse to tune out and stop opposing. The last six months have and continue to be at times unbearable and I can get upset at how I’ve ‘changed’ in order to get by. But, the ‘me in me’ deep down remains true. No matter what ‘they’ do, say, impose, threaten, etc etc they absolutely will not take or break the sacred ‘me’, the greatest real estate is soul (if you believe that) and/or the mind and it is absolutely not for sale. I concur with you, 💩will be spouted on Monday and whether you go for a long drive to walk or stand with your fists clenched fully tuned in and standing in defiance is a personal thing. 🙏

miahoneybee

Post by miahoneybee »

I sent you a pm fudge..

Fudge

Post by Fudge »

I’ve replied MiaHoneyBee although It was a first PM time so hopefully you’ve got it???

FreedomofAssociation

Points well taken, Fudge.

I am looking at this not with lack of gratitude for all that has been done. Much is really healthy and excellent in Lockdown Sceptics, which has been great this very day, particularly in the excellent article on home-schooling. But I am looking at our dilemma from a long-haul perspective, knowing we have been in this for nearly a year already, agreeing with the view expressed by Janet Daley today that we will never really be back to normal until Government is barred truly from ever doing this again (for example, I would like to see current ministers censured, at least, and barred from future public office) but not expecting that to occur, and therefore needing to adjust how my family and I engage going forward.

So I look to those who have done best to stay sane and true to themselves under past dictatorial regimes, many of which have been actually murderous as opposed to just destructively misguided, myopic, and self-interested as our current Government is. Many to whom I look were dissidents in the context of living out full lives, not as single-minded, single-issue people even if they were indeed very strenuously engaged in acting against tyranny of one sort or another. Take for example Solzhenitsyn. Such people gathered their strength by maintaining the freedom of their souls despite the tyranny, not by allowing themselves to be defined as narrow, embittered oppositionists. They were oppositionists in the context of great sanity and great breadth of their free minds. They better than those who oppressed them, which is why they could perceive and feel the tyranny.

Maybe we are like that. To stay like that, and to strengthen in that mould, we need to stay broad, sane, unembittered, better than the narrow-minded tyrants.

That means still seeing beauty, enjoying quite, looking away from the screen, leaving room for expression, the poetry of life, everything away from the hysteria.

That's really what I mean by tuning out and turning on. Turning on the whole soul, not getting narrow and bitter. And too much media isn't helpful to my household. We have to keep our humanity healthy, supple, soulful, hopeful, not scandalised; achiebing this is our first victory against those who pose as our dictators, but who are actually powerless.

Fudge

Post by Fudge »

FreedomofAssociation

Eloquent and insightful response and I understand a little more now about your thoughts. The power of the written word, communication and an open mind. I spend a lot of time walking the dog and sitting in the woods and your post was a gentle reminder regarding ‘gratitude’ in that I’m physically able to do and access this and as such stand-down so to speak during this time. I understand in my own way. 👍

FreedomofAssociation

👍🏻

MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Very helpful dialogue. We do have to keep our own sanity and not get embittered. I reflect on our situation and compare it with the victims of other repressions and really it's not nearly as bad. When compared say to the Jews in prewar Germany, freethinkers under Soviet Communism or Tibetan Buddhists under the Chinese. It's salutary to think how people survived and kept their humanity in these situations when they couldn't undertake any form of protest without extreme risk. It's just so frustrating to see the harm being done and the compliance of the majority. But things never stay the same.