Exactly when is your breaking point?

Lady Grey

Re: Exactly when is your breaking point?

Post by Lady Grey »

hachibunga wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:38 am The goalposts have been moved so many times at this point that for most of us here, we're past the point of being surprised anymore. But that doesn't mean we don't have a breaking point ...

What if they keep getting moved in perpetuity? How long will you put up with this until you "snap"? We all have a breaking point. For many it would simply be accepting life as a defeated and deflated human, totally broken, willing to accept any programming handed down from government.

But for some of us, we'd rather die than live a life of submission. Or possibly something else.

What about you - on what date do you snap, and what does that look like?
I didn't have a breaking point but gradually I started becoming angry at how unfair the lockdown is and how my life is being wasted in lockdown.

Here is my story of how I snapped.

I used to be a strong supporter of the first lockdown in March. I was worried about the hospitals being overwhelmed with covid cases and seeing the media images of what happened in Italy I was scared of it will happen here in the UK. The NHS is a fragile institution weakened by poor decisions from politicians over the years. I was just scared .

I believed the UK scientific advisers were trying to protect us and I trusted everything they were saying about the effectiveness of lockdowns.

I was very critical of people breaking the rules and lockdown sceptics. In june people in the UK went to the beach and it was full of people .
When saw it on the TV i was furious. Lol
I actually said " This is so insulting to the people who died have people forgotten we are in a pandemic "

I was very tolerant even agreeing with mask wearing because i believed this for public health protection.

My breaking point started when my family started agreeing with Matt Hancock and older people scapegoating of my age group for high rise in infections.

It made me so angry my age group is getting blamed for the high infection rate or not following the rules.

I had to explain my grandmother that is ageism because they are people much older than myself who were breaking the same rules but young people are being scapegoated.

I was someone who followed the rules but the dailymail and agiest eldery attacks my age group. I did feel betrayed as i took the pandemic seriously.

I even started criticising my step father family members and my other family members who constantly break the rules to explain to my grandmother and mum how there people much older than myself are not following the rules.

My stepfather family members mainly over 40+ have illlegal house parties, throw illegal house parties and just continued to household mix to see friends throughout.

The best line i told my grandmother

" So you are telling all these grannies and grandpas are innocent and following the rules. There is plenty grannies for all we know secretly playing bingo in the black market or meeting up with thier own friends"

My grandmother was laughing but i wasnt finding it funny. I was furious.

I even had to explain to my 13 year old sister that we are living in a Simpsons episode.

I remember telling her this

"Sis ,Remember the Simpsons episode when the children of Springfield were blamed by the adults for the damage down to the town. This led to chief Wiggum imposing a curfew which caused the children of Springfield to lose thier freedom. Today we are the children of Springfield us young people are being blamed by the adults in authority for the high infection rate of covid19."

I never to got explain to my sister that was my favourite episode of Simpsons because the children of Springfield stood up to the adults and won.

I hope we young people can stand up to adults in authority today

The ageism my age group has been subjected too is disgusting .

hilarynw

Post by hilarynw »

I simply function in the moment, if I look towards the future it becomes too much to bear. I would love to attend my daughters wedding (3rd attempt) in the U.K. in June but don’t even think about it rather than risk disappointment. I have told her she must go ahead this time regardless of whether we can come but it breaks my heart to do so.

I have been down some deep rabbit holes during this period. I have endless heated discussions with my husband who maintains it’s all incompetence from the government and fear of being blamed for more deaths than necessary. I am way beyond this and keep on coming back to ‘why’. Why are the government doing this to people when they can see the damage it’s doing? Why are they ruining a generation of children’s lives - surely the backbone of the future economy? Why, after years of austerity are they now spending money as if it grows on trees? It is out in the open that certain people see this Covid period as an opportunity to be acted upon to bring in a new way of doing things.

My real worry is that a ‘breaking point’ may cause someone to act and to push back but equally a breaking point can result in broken people, too dispirited, too worn down and exhausted to react to anything. How much more of this constant offering hope and then removing it can people take before they just give up?

RGMugabe

Post by RGMugabe »

These lockdown easing measures are laughable. I agree schools should open early March ( they should not have been closed at all imo).

He then will ​​​​​pledge that two families or a group of six friends will be allowed to meet outdoors three weeks later. In the NE city where l live young people have been flaunting this rule since last year.

"The second stage in April will allow the reopening of non-essential retail and could include outdoor hospitality, and in May there could be the tentative restarting of sports and music events paired with mass testing".

This is a crock of shit. Hospitality,tourism and travel are still in lockdown essentially. These fools are destroying large swathes of the economy. Do you think any independent pubs and restaurants will be able to make a living with these outdoor hospitality restrictions.

Who do you think works in the hospitality,leisure and tourism industries? The young thats who. Mass unemployment for the young.

Some might not remember what happened last time there was mass youth unemployment. Massive riots caused by social deprivation, racial tension and mass unemployment. This was coupled with a disrespect and mistrust of the police. All the ingredients are bubbling away now. The only difference now is that more older people sympathise with the youth this time round. I certainly do.

Social trouble ahead. I have already reached my breaking point.

Splatt

Post by Splatt »

"Mass testing" means they're still obsessed with cases/zero-covid now.

Vaccinations are done, almost all the deaths and serious sickness eliminated so what does it matter if people have a virus thats not making them sick?

A focus on cases and mass testing means an utter refusal to accept the virus is here and we just live with it and get on with life.
Its a recipe for normal NEVER returning.

ttenl

Post by ttenl »

Lady Grey wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:50 am
hachibunga wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:38 am The goalposts have been moved so many times at this point that for most of us here, we're past the point of being surprised anymore. But that doesn't mean we don't have a breaking point ...

What if they keep getting moved in perpetuity? How long will you put up with this until you "snap"? We all have a breaking point. For many it would simply be accepting life as a defeated and deflated human, totally broken, willing to accept any programming handed down from government.

But for some of us, we'd rather die than live a life of submission. Or possibly something else.

What about you - on what date do you snap, and what does that look like?
I didn't have a breaking point but gradually I started becoming angry at how unfair the lockdown is and how my life is being wasted in lockdown.

Here is my story of how I snapped.

I used to be a strong supporter of the first lockdown in March. I was worried about the hospitals being overwhelmed with covid cases and seeing the media images of what happened in Italy I was scared of it will happen here in the UK. The NHS is a fragile institution weakened by poor decisions from politicians over the years. I was just scared .

I believed the UK scientific advisers were trying to protect us and I trusted everything they were saying about the effectiveness of lockdowns.

I was very critical of people breaking the rules and lockdown sceptics. In june people in the UK went to the beach and it was full of people .
When saw it on the TV i was furious. Lol
I actually said " This is so insulting to the people who died have people forgotten we are in a pandemic "

I was very tolerant even agreeing with mask wearing because i believed this for public health protection.

My breaking point started when my family started agreeing with Matt Hancock and older people scapegoating of my age group for high rise in infections.

It made me so angry my age group is getting blamed for the high infection rate or not following the rules.

I had to explain my grandmother that is ageism because they are people much older than myself who were breaking the same rules but young people are being scapegoated.

I was someone who followed the rules but the dailymail and agiest eldery attacks my age group. I did feel betrayed as i took the pandemic seriously.

I even started criticising my step father family members and my other family members who constantly break the rules to explain to my grandmother and mum how there people much older than myself are not following the rules.

My stepfather family members mainly over 40+ have illlegal house parties, throw illegal house parties and just continued to household mix to see friends throughout.

The best line i told my grandmother

" So you are telling all these grannies and grandpas are innocent and following the rules. There is plenty grannies for all we know secretly playing bingo in the black market or meeting up with thier own friends"

My grandmother was laughing but i wasnt finding it funny. I was furious.

I even had to explain to my 13 year old sister that we are living in a Simpsons episode.

I remember telling her this

"Sis ,Remember the Simpsons episode when the children of Springfield were blamed by the adults for the damage down to the town. This led to chief Wiggum imposing a curfew which caused the children of Springfield to lose thier freedom. Today we are the children of Springfield us young people are being blamed by the adults in authority for the high infection rate of covid19."

I never to got explain to my sister that was my favourite episode of Simpsons because the children of Springfield stood up to the adults and won.

I hope we young people can stand up to adults in authority today

The ageism my age group has been subjected too is disgusting .
I'm a builder and as such can pretty much justify leaving the house whenever I want (put some tools in the boot if not really working). Anyway I was at homebase (not where I do most of my cool builder shopping!). I was amazed that there were people in their late 60s and 70s buying trivial items. One lady left the shop with 2 small seed trays. But your sister can't go to school :) another couple had several bags of compost on a trolley. In fact during lock down 2.0 I helped an elderly couple by lifting compost in to their boot. Might have been 1.0 who can remember anymore.

What's really struck me is how society is massively structured for the benefit of the 'boomer' generation and the one perhaps slightly before.

The way children have been treated and blamed during this farago is actually criminally insane in my view.

Another incident I was in a car park and am old lady banged her door several times in to my car. When there were spaces very with no cars next to them. She got a shock when I beeped my door. And no it wasn't an accident she just didn't care.

I hate to say it but one big effect has been for me to develop a considerable contemp for the elderly which is very unfortunate.

sunjor

Post by sunjor »

So much to agree with here, some days are intolerable others not so bad but I will not submit and give in but I wish I knew a constructive way I could fight the injustice of it all, it baffles me completely that so many are so accepting, although I do agree that there are signs of dissent, certainly more people out and about in my area.

Occamsrazor

Post by Occamsrazor »

ttenl
That's how I feel. Part of me feels I'm being unfair, but when I take my daughter out for the daily walk at lunchtime, after she's been stuck in front of a computer for 4 hours, I can't help resenting the elderly having a walk or sitting having a takeaway coffee with friends. We get about 20 minutes once she's scanned and submitted work and had lunch, and often she's miserable because online schoolwork is a really big ask in all sorts of ways for a kid who's not even a teenager yet. We stomp around the same streets we've been looking at for 11 months now, and sometimes we even get the 'glaring and jumping into the road' types who clearly think my daughter should be locked away with her awful child germs. I can't bear it.
Thing is, I used to feel quite strongly that as a society we were disrespectful of the elderly and far too 'yoof' orientated. Now there are times when I want to scream in their faces that if they're that fucking scared, maybe they should 'stay the fuck at home' (as the saying goes) instead of glaring at my child who has given up so much for them. (by the way, I totally know this isn't all old people. My old mum for one thinks the world has gone mad) This is just so divisive.

bradw4

Post by bradw4 »

Occamsrazor wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:22 pm Now there are times when I want to scream in their faces that if they're that fucking scared, maybe they should 'stay the fuck at home' (as the saying goes) instead of glaring at my child who has given up so much for them. (by the way, I totally know this isn't all old people. My old mum for one thinks the world has gone mad) This is just so divisive.
My somewhat elderly relatives and family friends cover the full spectrum of responses.

Some passionately believe in lockdowns. Some say very little, seemingly engulfed by apathy (being retired, not much has changed for them). Others are exasperated, well aware of the damage that has been done in their name - and conscious of the economic tumult that likely awaits.

As a rule, those who have not suffered financially feel no compunction in supporting the lockdowns.

It makes me wonder: in an age in which we are exhorted to dwell on collective racial guilt, will a similar collective guilt emerge among the Boomers?

Will they openly acknowledge the sacrifices that younger generations have (reluctantly) made for them?

Do they have sufficient time left for the scale of the sacrifice to sink in?

Sure, not much can be gained from that. But a little generational humility wouldn't go amiss.

ttenl

Post by ttenl »

Guilt - No of course it won't. The majority will live comfortable lives and have free access to garden centre cafes and 6 monthly booster jabs. Hallowed be OUR NHS.

Look here's another thing. How many people will never be born at all now. Think how many couples will have no or fewer children because of the coming financial burden. I find it very upsetting.

Mike Yeadon

Post by Mike Yeadon »

May I ask why you think normality is even going to resume?
My own assumption is that it will not, and that this will continue under the nation fails (both the economy & civil society). I think this because of the succession of lies which started with LD1 & continue to be evolved to this very day.
I dearly wish I did not think this, but this is the only explanation I’ve found which accommodates ALL the facts. Any theory which fails to accommodate all the main points is incorrect.
rachel.c wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:11 pm Don't give up hope. It's your life. Stay determined to get it back. Don't let the madness get to you. Easier said than done I know but keep looking for ways to distract yourself and maintain your beliefs and humanity. Life will be different in the UK after reality sets in and the world needs people like us to stay sane.