Masks: the hill to die on? Winning the war v winning the battle

Occamsrazor

Masks: the hill to die on? Winning the war v winning the battle

Post by Occamsrazor »

I lurk and occasionally post on a 'mums' ' forum. There's a lot of mask obsession and reading the comments today, many of the wailing cretins are very relieved that secondary school children will be masked.
To me masks are ludicrous: the scientific case for them in terms of transmission (if you care about such things) in real life community scenarios is extremely weak at best and negative at worst; they are an offensive behavioural tool to keep people in fear and divert attention from genuine public health issues that we won't face (age demographic, obesity, how to run the NHS and what it's for etc) ; they are divisive and de-humanising; and ( I know this won't be popular here but it's a very important issue to me) they are unacceptable environmentally: getting the mad middle classes of the global North to buy a load more meaningless tat filled with plastic and mostly shipped in from abroad is sickening.
BUT when I thought about telling the terrified idiots on 'mum/site' this, I stopped myself because I fear that mask-belief is the difference between opening schools to all, and keeping them closed to most. If they start realising that masks are a complete waste of time, they will just argue that schools must close.
So what to do? I hate this stupid world we're creating and I don't want to be a collaborator, but I also can't stand by and see what this is doing to children without compromising my beliefs.
What do others think? Is this just a battle that as a parent we have to give in on in the hope of eventually winning the war without too much collateral damage to our children?

miahoneybee

Re: Masks: the hill to die on? Winning the war v winning the battle

Post by miahoneybee »

Your beliefs are your beliefs and you should not he bullied or coerced into changing your beliefs. Compromise where you feel you can but ultimately it's a battle we must win or the future for our children looks grim..stay away from the sheep if you have to if the relationship is toxic and be true to yourself..
That's my bit of advise. I am sure you will hear many others which may or may not help..
:D

Occamsrazor

Post by Occamsrazor »

Mia
Thank you for responding. It's one of the problems with fighting the narrative when you're a parent. However angry you feel, your primary concern is your child and you feel you'll make any compromise however much you hate it to try to help them.
I guess this is a bit like the 'what's your breaking point question earlier in the forum.

miahoneybee

Post by miahoneybee »

Occamsrazor
I understand your dilemma.. the question I would ask you is it really helping them ?in the short term and long term ? It might in the short term stop some embarrassment..save peer pressure..avoid conflict with the school and sheep parents..
In the long run what will our childrens future look like if we compromise our principles now.

chocolatemalteser

Post by chocolatemalteser »

Occamsrazor wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:09 pm I lurk and occasionally post on a 'mums' ' forum. There's a lot of mask obsession and reading the comments today, many of the wailing cretins are very relieved that secondary school children will be masked.
To me masks are ludicrous: the scientific case for them in terms of transmission (if you care about such things) in real life community scenarios is extremely weak at best and negative at worst; they are an offensive behavioural tool to keep people in fear and divert attention from genuine public health issues that we won't face (age demographic, obesity, how to run the NHS and what it's for etc) ; they are divisive and de-humanising; and ( I know this won't be popular here but it's a very important issue to me) they are unacceptable environmentally: getting the mad middle classes of the global North to buy a load more meaningless tat filled with plastic and mostly shipped in from abroad is sickening.
BUT when I thought about telling the terrified idiots on 'mum/site' this, I stopped myself because I fear that mask-belief is the difference between opening schools to all, and keeping them closed to most. If they start realising that masks are a complete waste of time, they will just argue that schools must close.
So what to do? I hate this stupid world we're creating and I don't want to be a collaborator, but I also can't stand by and see what this is doing to children without compromising my beliefs.
What do others think? Is this just a battle that as a parent we have to give in on in the hope of eventually winning the war without too much collateral damage to our children?
I've ditched the mask. It's doing me harm so I've ditched it. It's the strongest reason for me not to wear it. I need to look after myself and my health for my children. Especially now. It gives me great strength and confidence to keep reminding myself it does me harm. And I have no qualms any more about not wearing it anywhere. Now just apply the same to your kids. Flip it round on the school. Put it on those mumsnet mothers' toes. Put the guilt on them or whomever guilts you. The mask harms adults and children alike. Beat them down with cold hard facts about why wearing it is bad. Everything from bacteria, to compromising immunity, there are loads of proven fact reasons not to wear one. There is little to say it works.

Ask whomever is challenging you why your kids should wear one. Slap them back with fact. The facts are that they don't work you cannot argue with it. Even the WHO says it.

Quote the legal position. Is the school going to pay out compensation if my child develops MH issues or whatever else side effects from wearing a mask?

What everyone needs to do now is stand up to the bullies. The moral high ground bullies who think they can make you wear a mask, take a vaccine and so on. Whether it be school or peers or employer.

The legal position is this: they cannot force you or your child to do anything. It's a GUIDELINE. The legal position is the strongest position. Stronger than any virtue signalling bully moral high ground.

It is now time to assert yourselves and stand up for what you believe. No more worrying about what other people think. They do not have your best interests at heart, they are cowardly virtue signallers. Show them up for what they are. The more people that do it the better.