We've Had a Really Serious Infection This Past Year

Rudolph Rigger

We've Had a Really Serious Infection This Past Year

Post by Rudolph Rigger »

It seems to me that the most serious infection we've faced this past year has been fear.

It has permeated everything, infected everything, and shamed us. Last night's "roadmap" wasn't a triumph of optimism, or science, or dogged British grit in the face of a terrible threat. No, it was a majestic display of timidity born of fear. Almost every policy decision, every measure, has been introduced because we've been afraid. If we don't do X, or Y, then things will be really, really bad - and we're scared.

We've been afraid of a virus that has an overall IFR around the 0.3% level - maybe a bit worse for the UK because we're a nation of blobs who enjoy stuffing sugar and flour into our metabolically unhealthy bodies (I am guilty as charged, m'lud).

Even without the vaccines, and advocating "letting it rip", we shouldn't have been this afraid!

We've erected those absurd plastic screens, worn the equally absurd masks - because air is stymied by such one dimensional barriers and doesn't know how to go around them. They are both a visible sign of our fear.

We've decided we can't even walk past another human being in a supermarket if we're going to get within 2 metres of them - despite wearing those magical face barriers of wondrous power - and implemented bizarre and baffling one-way systems. Because, as we know, air inside just stops circulating after 2 metres and the corona virus gets confused by one-way systems. Fear, again.

We closed allegedly "non-essential" businesses but allowed those deemed essential to continue operating. It was safe enough with the measures in place, we argued - an acceptable risk. Again, as we know, the virus is much more dangerous to us when shopping for non-essential items.

Now that we have vaccines these scaredy-cat measures make even less sense than they did before (and it was precious little sense indeed). We're almost at the point where most of those who were previously seriously vulnerable are no longer so. They might still get the Rona, but they will, mostly, no longer fatally succumb to it, or get seriously ill. So the threat level, never all that great to begin with, is now vastly reduced.

The gossamer-thin shred of rationality that has suffused our response, we need to protect the NHS, is no longer a concern. Yet the residual fear remains - it is the post-viral symptom that has caused the most damage - and will continue to do so whilst we still cower in our soiled underwear terrified by a virus that's a wee bit worse than flu - and decidedly less worse than flu once the vaccines kick in.

As we glacially ease ourselves out of these idiotic lockdown measures, if indeed we ever do, our overriding feeling should not be one of relief, but of shame. Shame, that we sacrificed so much, for so little.

Speedstick

Re: We've Had a Really Serious Infection This Past Year

Post by Speedstick »

Brilliant post RR.
You have stated nothing but balanced rational common sense there.
There in lies the problem though rational common sense and balance of risk level went out of the window in 2020.

Occamsrazor

Post by Occamsrazor »

Ah well you obviously don't understand epidemiology at all. Masks are vital. No one dies in countries where they wear them all the time. And people passing each other within 2 metres is deadly. Surely you read about those homicidal joggers with their damned breathing just killing everyone around them. And it's so so transmissible. Literally everyone gets it if they go near anyone. That's why we are nowhere near herd immunity yet. But also everyone who gets it is so so I'll with it. Except the asymptomatic people, of which there are millions. Because of all the flocking to beaches and cramming in parks. And those asymptomatic people are all passing on the virus to everyone unknowingly, but don't get any antibodies and so everyone can still catch it, even though everyone's already caught it and DIED.
Anyway that's what my uncle's vet's sister's boyfriend's butcher said and his mum works in the NHS. :D

Occamsrazor

Post by Occamsrazor »

On a serious note tho, great post (again)

Kevin Finnerty

Post by Kevin Finnerty »

As usual, a brilliant post from you, RR. Many thanks.

miahoneybee

Post by miahoneybee »

Another great post RR very amusing but completely shows up the idiocy of this shitshow..
:!:

Rudolph Rigger

Post by Rudolph Rigger »

Thank you all for the kind words.

I oscillate between despair and demented loon over this covid fiasco.

All of the pain and suffering, all of the inhumanity, the authoritarian fuckwittery, the loss of many of the things we love about life, the fear and paranoia, the wanton destruction of our economy and we still have over 100,000 deaths, and counting. Just makes one sooooo proud of our staggering achievement doesn't it?

It would have been so much worse, bleat the deluded lockdown fetishists. Yeah, right - sod off and tell that to Sweden or Florida, to name just 2 examples.

It makes me want to slap my head - or someone else's with a very large baseball bat.

I used to believe I was kind of rational on a good day. I now begin to wonder, when so many scientists seem in love with lockdowns. 2020 seemed to be the year we rewrote science - we ignored all our previous expert thinking on what to do in a pandemic and gleefully followed the Wuhan Welders into lockdown lunacy. We ignored decades of results showing that bits of cloth on faces did bugger all and decided they worked, after all. So much so, we made everyone wear one of the useless little fuckers.

Against all previous good medical practice we tested the crap out of everyone and went all wild-eyed over the number of "cases" we found. We changed the very definition of death - or at least the causes of that sad event. He fell off a cliff? Quick, test him for covid and we can add him to the statistics.

For a virus that in all honesty is really not that deadly we've buggered off down Bonkers Boulevard and can't find our way back.