Latest News Fron the BBC ??

thefoostybadger

Latest News Fron the BBC ??

Post by thefoostybadger »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56620646

Scroll down for interesting "analysis" from James Gallacher, Health and science correspondant.

Alternatively the piece I found interesting is......If 2.5 million 60-year-old people caught coronavirus then around 50,000 would die.

Apologies, if my sums are out, it's been a long day, but that's 2%, right, James?

Splatt

Re: Latest News Fron the BBC ??

Post by Splatt »

Also ignoring the fact the clots are younger people who are at far less risk from covid anyway.

Rudolph Rigger

Post by Rudolph Rigger »

thefoostybadger wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:08 pm
Alternatively the piece I found interesting is......If 2.5 million 60-year-old people caught coronavirus then around 50,000 would die.
I wanted to get a handle on the relative risks across the ages so I produced an estimate for the IFR across the ranges.

Ioannidis' recent work, which I believe is based on serology studies, puts the UK's overall IFR at 0.3-0.4%

Let's take the upper value here and assume a uniform infection rate across the ages. Now this is almost certainly too simplistic, but it does allow us to make an easy estimate.

Taking this value of 0.4% for the IFR gives around 34% of the England & Wales population having been infected up to the end of 2020.

Using the 2020 death data for England & Wales, and the 2019 population data, and rounding some of the figures a little (it is only an estimate, after all) we find that
Table2020.jpg
Table2020.jpg (92.04 KiB) Viewed 431 times
So we can see the sharp rise in risk as we climb through the age ranges. Also bear in mind that these deaths are mostly occurring in people with other underlying health conditions so the risk for healthy people in the 40-49 age range is probably closer to 1 in 10,000 infections than 1 in 2,400

You can see how vaccination makes very little sense at all for the under 30's - it certainly isn't for their benefit is it?

But once again, younger people are being asked to shoulder the burden of making the older feel safer.

These death figures for 2020 highlight the extraordinarily disproportionate reaction we've had to this not-really-bedwettingly-scary virus.

Speedstick

Post by Speedstick »

Yes my eye was drawn to this fantastical mathematical error! Or was it an error, are propaganda exercises like this not all part of the quid pro quo that now exists between the disgusting BBC and this immoral government.
Even Tony Blackburn's Saturday morning 'Sounds of the Sixties' show has now become more of a political party broadcast for the 'Zero Covid Party' than a celebration of a great decade of music.
The BBC will now willingly sink to any level to help continue the government's ubiquitous relentless propaganda message.

thefoostybadger

Splatt wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:05 am Also ignoring the fact the clots are younger people who are at far less risk from covid anyway.
Hi Splatt; morning :)

Pretty rushed 1st post last night, was well overdue my bedtime, so on reflection could have made my point better.

It's not that 2% is a small number......it's that 50K deaths out of 2.5 million (60 year olds) is just plainly wrong by a huge factor.

Still happy to be corrected if my maths are wrong, but if I'm not, this is terrible journalism, which will be read by some who don't know to check out facts elsewhere.

Have a good weekend everyone :)

LilyVLibre

Post by LilyVLibre »

Totally agree that the 2% deathrate is questionable to say the least. To label the paragraph 'analyse' without referencing sources for stated figures used is usual rubbish bbc 'journalism'. Presume the figures were 'fact checked' by the diligent bbc fact checkers?!

huxleypiggles

Post by huxleypiggles »

With all due respect to the above posters surely the issue is taking notice of BBC propaganda no matter how bad it is.

thefoostybadger

huxleypiggles wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:45 am With all due respect to the above posters surely the issue is taking notice of BBC propaganda no matter how bad it is.
Evening @huxleypiggies.....by "taking notice" of the BBC propaganda do you mean reading it, being appalled by it's inaccuracy, and linking it to the forum?

If so, as OP, I can i explain the linking of the article.....?

Firstly, I did so in the absolute belief that no one that frequents this site would be influenced at all by reading the story; in fact it may strengthen one's resolve when faced with the outright lies/incompetence of the fearmongers latest efforts. If there is a propaganda war going on, (and I believe there is), then surely it is advantageous to know what the "enemy" is up to, no?

Secondly, a valid criticism of lockdown fanatics is that they exist in echo chambers which perpetuate their fear and misconceptions; asking them to consider alternative veiwpoints and look elshwhere for information is something we encourage them to do. Given that, I think it is valid that sceptics also are not simply reading material they know will chime with their beliefs....I read the MSM pretty infrequently, but think it wrong to avoid it altogether. Last night's foray onto the BBC website was the first for a while and the scale of the error astounded me, hence the sharing.

Apologies if I have misunderstood your post and meant something else by "taking notice".

Regards, TFB

Teamsaint

Post by Teamsaint »

huxleypiggles wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:45 am With all due respect to the above posters surely the issue is taking notice of BBC propaganda no matter how bad it is.
I think the important reason to keep an eye on this kind of propaganda, is that every so often you get a piece like this which is demonstrably false or deliberately misleading, and picking up on these to disprove them can be a powerful tool.

huxleypiggles

Post by huxleypiggles »

Teamsaint

thefoostybadger

Fair points chaps.

I religiously stay away from the BBC and not just news programmes. The comment that we should know what the enemy is up to is a fair one but more balanced views can be found elsewhere even in the MSM:
Telegraph, the appalling Times, Mail occasionally but even UnHerd and CapX, both of which are apt to put out some cranky pro Lockdown nonsense at times.

The BBC is utterly stomach churning.