End of Western Civilisation

FreedomofAssociation

End of Western Civilisation

Post by FreedomofAssociation »

In hyperbolic moments, I used to say it looked as if Western civilisation was in the process of ending. At the same time, I had the feeling it wasn't really so, that we were really just entering one of those lengthy bad spells of confusion and bad decisions with which our history is riddled.

But never mind that; it was all pre-lockdown. Now, bearing in mind that lockdown has gone on longer than a year, and plainly governments around the UK and Europe have intend to suppress basic freedoms indefinitely, isn't this really the end of Western civilisation.

One can't call our life in lockdown "civilisation". It falls so far short of it. We are merely playing with the scraps and in the buildings of a civilisation that once was.

And one can't call the intended post-lockdown with restricted basic freedoms (e.g. with medical ID cards prerequisite to basic rights to be social) a civilisation in the mould we have known as Western. It is authoritarian in the extreme.

So I think it's over, and I see no signs of near-term resurgence. You?

huxleypiggles

Re: End of Western Civilisation

Post by huxleypiggles »

Nothing short of an outright uprising will stop the oncoming genocide.

Wally

Post by Wally »

I actually feel that civil disorder on a huge scale will come to pass in the UK soon, not sure if it will be used against us all or what, just got a feeling, people are tense.

MikeAustin

Post by MikeAustin »

FreedomofAssociation wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:48 am So I think it's over, and I see no signs of near-term resurgence. You?
Things could go either way. However Reiner Fuellmich gave an uplifting interview a week ago here that may provide some cheer.

funtimes

Post by funtimes »

Wake up then. You are a part of Western civilization. Unless you're doing things differently, you are part of the problem. What are you doing to make it better? You are part of the societal and cultural problem if you think COVID-19 is the determining factor. People thought black people were to blame, gay people, women, Muslims, terrorists, Hitler, Russia, China, North Korea. When are people going to wake the f*ck up and realize the problem is always something or somebody else. It's never them. And because someone else is forcing something on you, because you didn't take action in a timely fashion, now THAT person is to blame ie Bill Gates, WEF, WHO etc. The man with the glittering smartphone stood at a bus stop in a rough area who gets robbed but never saw it coming. Maybe you should have stopped gazing at your surveillance device and took in your surroundings. I think on a societal scale we call those people sheep. Well hang on a second, aren't you now making sheep noises asking where the sheep pen has gone, the very thing that kept you imprisoned before? Aren't you a sheep then?

There was a time before all this that these people/entities had not enacted their plans and you were able to live the lives you wanted to live. You had the chance to do something with yourself, just like many others, and you chose to join the herd and live a basic existence.

Just face it, you want the pubs open again so you can talk sh*t to strangers and drown your sorrows. It's not about becoming a realized person who understands the nature of his relationship to everything else and wants out of the trap. You want the shops to open so you can blindly spend like a consumer slave. You want the excuse to go back to the sh*t life you once lived but to be able to get away with it. People want their depressing 9-5's back. People want to be able to do everything in their power to avoid the reality of the world they live in and all the problems in it.

How many are going to go back to their 'normal' lives on the 12th? How many are going to think long and hard what that 'normal' was and whether theres perhaps a lot more going on in their minds that makes them obsessed with things having to be like that? Maybe they need to assess whether the lives they once lived were so great and beneficial to them when everything external to them determined that for them. Society as most people see it is an illusion, it's clever marketing selling you lifestyle choices. What society is beyond that is the connection we all have to each other but most people don't give a f*ck about that. The world has sold itself for imprisonment. You can't tell me people love themselves when they are willing to self destruct and then demand others do the same. That right there is a HUGE weakness and one that has been exploited to get people to join this death cult. It's not like people are without huge weaknesses though. You don't need to look that deep to find them in most people. Their entire lives are often indicative of weakness.Peoples attachments to things are not out of strength, most people do things because without doing them they would'nt have a point for existing anymore. Doing things is solves an animal need, not a human goal for transformation and potential. That's why people endlessly chase materialism, social status, fortune etc. Coincidentally all the things that make Western civilization sick and what has contributed to the problems we face socially and culturally. All the things that have now been held captive. And look at how desperate people have got...

Wake up. If you think this isn't something you are responsible for you need to look in the mirror. People have been warning about things like this for a long time. All the people you'd have happily called conspiracy nut jobs in the pub drowning your misery downing poison have been telling people to start accepting personal responsibility for themselves and seeking answers. It's now all the anti-lockdown that now all of a sudden care about what these conspiracy nut jobs have to say despite spending their entire life bashing these people. Our greatest thinkers have been talking in detail about the demise of Western civilization for a very long time. Nobody cared when they could order a McDonalds and sit inside to eat it. Who are those mugs talking about the demise of Western civilization? Ha! That's not what the BBC News tells me! The inevitable problems that occur with power structures in human society has been talked about for thousands of years but those are now 'classic' literature which means only posh people with PhDs read them. Who likes those books anyway? The cover isn't attractive. I need artwork aimed at a primary school child to draw me in. Look at all this writing. I prefer reading the Daily Mail. F*ck reading classical works on the most pivotal questions asked throughout history, show me clickbait articles any day of the week over this.

You just have to want to be searching for the answers and searching for the truth. But only care when it suits them and only while the perceived sense of loss is so great they really do in that moment in time mean what they say. Shame the majority of the population will return to sheep in the not so distant future and the people professing about the demise of civilization will be long gone from this forum and onto qeueing for the next Apple smartphone or desperately getting the window seat at the restaurant so they can be seen like usual appearing to be socially acceptable and living the 'dream' life while everyone watches on in awe and only wants to replicate it. That's what most people want buddy. They don't care about the existential crisis. They only care so far as it prevents them from being the sheep they want to be. The only awakening most people will have from this is the period in time they could not actually be the sheep they always were given the illusion of freedom to graze the fields. Who will actually wake up and jump over the fence though and never look back?

You talk about the end of Western Civilization...
You're looking RIGHT AT IT and have been doing since you were born. It just wasn't shown to you in such a way to provoke such an immense reaction. But you've no doubt had hints here and there, we all have, it's what gets us asking to ourselves sometimes whether things are really as they seem or not or whether we're being had off. The problem is right in front of you. Don't ignore it next time and don't think that it will change when things return to 'normal'. It is precisely this version of 'normal' that is actually insanity but that insanity is everywhere and has been for generations. All you have to do is look hard enough and you'll see how f*cking mad this world is and how mad people have to be in order to live in it. And it's quite a challenge to live in this world having found some semblence of sanity but now you know how many of the so-called conspiracy nutjobs feel now who for years have professed messages that turned into reality only to be ignored but now conveniently adored, at least while the desire for a counter narrative allows it.

Maybe your entire life then has been a lie and what you really think is the end of Western Civilization is actually the end of your childhood. The glitter has gone.

Now what?

Theinstaller

Post by Theinstaller »

Wally wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:24 pm I actually feel that civil disorder on a huge scale will come to pass in the UK soon, not sure if it will be used against us all or what, just got a feeling, people are tense.
I had wondered myself how effective civil disorder would be in this new world of censorship and reporting suppression.

Look at the huge, organic yellow vest movement in France which went on and on with very little worldwide reporting, one suspects to avoid copycats in other countries. After a couple of serious incidents of protestor maiming I complained to the bbc over their absence of coverage and got the usual fob off. Without coverage, the masses are unaware, and supporters of a cause do not know the extent of support or awareness.

In the case of our scepticism, we find ourselves silenced on social platforms, ignored by traditional media and left with the inability to get our message out or gauge support.

One only has to look at how hard the bbc and sky tried not to report on the huge London pro freedom march. My complaint to sky, who even had a reporter to cover the Corbyn but chose to ignore the march, and the bbc who claimed hundreds attended (which is correct but surely thousands is a more accurate representation once there are well over two thousand) went unanswered.

It seems that causes the government find less dangerous to them, like the climate lot or blm, are allowed to go ahead and are reported on feverishly, with no social media censorship in place either.

Would the poll tax demos/riots (perspective is everything I suppose) have happened today?

fon

Post by fon »

FreedomofAssociation wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:48 amI think Western civilisation's over. You?
I think you are vastly over-egging the importance of Prince Philip in the scheme of things. Once the funeral is over, and the Phil the Greek is 6 foot under, there will still be quite a bit of Western civilisation around for quite a while yet. Starting Monday, when the beer gardens in Caer open, and I can drive there stock up on my cheap booze! The Duke is dead, long live Lidls!

Caer: My Local Seat of Western Civilisation : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester

Max

Post by Max »

This does bring the famous quote to mind:
"Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western Civilization?" - reply: "I think it would be a good idea" - pointing out the inherent contradictions that have always been present in 'Western Civilization'.

However if we restrict its definition to mean a particular concept of rule of law and democracy balanced with individual rights, then to make another (mis) quote about the French Revolution, it is perhaps "too early to say".

I think two things are fairly clear though:

First, the Friedmann-Hayek-Thatcher-Reaganite laissez-faire consensus which has been the mainstay of western governance for the last 40 years is collapsing, just as the post-WW2 Keynseyan-Roosveltian-Butskellite consensus collapsed in the 1970's. What new consensus will replace it is difficult to say but I think it is reasonable to assume it will be less libertarian, because that consensus itself was built around libertarian ideals, which have failed to deliver their claimed outcomes (instead of prosperity for all, we have seen an unprecedented accumulation of wealth and power in the hands of a minority).

Second, there is a long term trend of convergence between civilizations across the world, such that West, East, North and South will eventually all follow the same consensus. Some may consider this sinister but it is an inevitable outcome of an interconnected world. Already people across the world drive the same cars, use the same phones, watch the same TV's (and even same films on those TV's), wear the same clothes, work in similar offices and factories, and, increasingly, eat the same food and live in similar homes. Now it is arguable that this does not mean they have to believe the same things or think the same thoughts but in practice if all aspects of daily life are the same does it really make a big difference if you believe you are a Republican or a Communist? The point is, a similar infrastructure ends up in place to deliver those similar things, because it has to be (electricity is delivered in wires, water is delivered in pipes and order is delivered by police forces and lawyers - because there is no other way to do it).

And one aspect of that world consensus does appear to be a more risk-averse, conformist society. Again this is partly inevitable because as things become more complex and interrelated there is less opportunity for diversity/non-conformity (e.g. as the amount of traffic on roads increases, so do the number of restrictions on what you can do). But partly it also appears to be because there is a generational change in attitudes - the under 40 generation have a much more 'responsible to the collective' attitude than those of the 'boomers' generation and are much more likely to harshly judge behaviours which benefit the individual at the disadvantage to others. Hence their preference for covid zealot beliefs, even when the risk to them personally from the disease is negligible.

Does this mean the end of civilization as we know it? I don't think so, but it may mean the 'end of an era'. And yes we probably are headed towards a more restricted, conformist, surveillance based society like those in Asia. Is that regrettable? Yes - but we have been on the road of an ever-more-regulated, ever-more-powerful law-and-order state since that breakdown in the 1970's.

fon

Post by fon »

FreedomofAssociation wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:48 am We are merely playing with the scraps and in the buildings of a civilisation that once was.
Yes. Due to a medical emergency that killed 120 thousand mainly elderly people, there has been a partial loss of some parts of our cherished Western civilization, including pubs, cafes and the Costa Brava and even Wales (which was only ever partly civilised anyway.) Even some uncivilised services such as motorway cafes have been shut.

So, at present only basic, essential scraps (food supply, water and sanitation, health services, some education, utilities, gas, electric, most roads, banking,law and order, fast food, democracy,public footpaths, phones, television, Internet , advertising, import/export, agriculture, military, some culture) are fully operational. Civilisation experts assure us the Western civilization is intact but in an induced coma, Civilisation experts are recovering more vital scraps of Western civilization which they will bring online as they gradually become irreversibly available: indicative time until beer gardens become irreversibly available. Experts will wake Western civilization from its induced coma in time to resume emitting max carbon-dioxide output by mid summer: indicative time until full CO2 emissions are resumed.

MikeAustin

Post by MikeAustin »

funtimes wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:17 am Now what?
Top up the coolant on your keyboard?