Silly Sanity

Teebs

Silly Sanity

Post by Teebs »

To maintain focus and sanity by diversifying discussion, I advocate that it is incorrect to have "forums" on this website and these should correctly be "fora".

The medical principles of Galen and and Hippocrates (Greek) and Avicena (Persian/Arabic) are being shredded by the Covidians, but at least we can have proper Latin!

Just like "stadiums" should be "stadia" and "masks" should be "no".

fon

Re: Silly Sanity

Post by fon »

Teebs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:42 pm To maintain focus and sanity by diversifying discussion, I advocate that it is incorrect to have "forums" on this website and these should correctly be "fora".
The rot started when Shirley William scrapped the Grammar schools.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-obituary

It does no good to malign the dead. But it does no good to praise them, either. I'll conclude with the only scrap of Latin I remember from my Grammar school days, if it's flaky, suck it up, please translate it for the Plebs, Teebs:

Porto, Portas, Portat, Portamus, portatis, Portant

Teebs

Post by Teebs »

fon wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 pm I'll conclude with the only scrap of Latin I remember from my Grammar school days, if it's flaky, suck it up, please translate it for the Plebs, Teebs:

All I can see from the above are the first four letters, common to each word, and which bring up fond memories and a warm desire.

But lockdown policy can perhaps be well described in the words of Juvenal:

Panem et circenses

Which I think roughly translates as "furlough and masks".

fon

Post by fon »

Teebs wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:53 am
fon wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 pm I'll conclude with the only scrap of Latin I remember from my Grammar school days, if it's flaky, suck it up, please translate it for the Plebs, Teebs:

All I can see from the above are the first four letters, common to each word, and which bring up fond memories and a warm desire.

But lockdown policy can perhaps be well described in the words of Juvenal:

Panem et circenses

Which I think roughly translates as "furlough and masks".
near enough. No need to reach for the dictionary for that, pan is bread in half a dozen languages. bread and circuses, furlough and masks, a canis et asinus theatrum.

Teebs

Post by Teebs »

image(9).jpg
image(9).jpg (99.54 KiB) Viewed 65 times