Journal Retracts Study Showing Masks Don’t Work

TheEngineer

Journal Retracts Study Showing Masks Don’t Work

Post by TheEngineer »

One has to wonder if they have been got at and persuaded to do this. Masks do of course work but only as a badge of compliance.

jmc

Re: Journal Retracts Study Showing Masks Don’t Work

Post by jmc »

You mean this one?

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/04/26/ ... filiation/

It was just Stanford saying he's not with us, but we are totally with the whole mask programme. And given just how many hundreds of millions Stanford gets in government research grants hardly surprising. I've known "The Farm" very well for decades. Which is why I have so little respect for Stanford grads. Having Stanford grads involved in a project is reason enough not to get involved.

The actual paper is just a rehash of a lot of other research on the subject. Nothing actually new in it. You will find far better papers on the subject by Far Eastern researchers. Who have been publishing good research in the subject for decades.

Basically for something like SARs 2, N95/N99 mask reduce risk of infection by a measurable amount in certain circumstances, all other face-masks dont. Thats about it. Face-masks very much fall into the placebo category in this situation.

miahoneybee

Post by miahoneybee »

I think the same the engineer but I am in no way surprised..

Splatt

Post by Splatt »

Even FFP2/3 only work if correctly fitted (its not just a case of slapping it on and pulling the straps tight) and are don/doffed with correct sterile technique.

None of that has anything in common with untrained Joe Public sliding a bit of cloth on/off his face 27 times a day in 6 shops and 3 buses.

We were always taught that behaviour would actually increase pathogen spread and infection risk and i see no reason (or studies) to case doubt on that.

There are a lot of deliberately misleading studies out there using "masks" (meaning FFP2 or above) used by trained people in sterile environments and applying that data to facecoverings and members of the public.
They try to equate the things as being identica. Its clearly not.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Splatt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 pm Even FFP2/3 only work if correctly fitted (its not just a case of slapping it on and pulling the straps tight) and are don/doffed with correct sterile technique.

None of that has anything in common with untrained Joe Public sliding a bit of cloth on/off his face 27 times a day in 6 shops and 3 buses.

We were always taught that behaviour would actually increase pathogen spread and infection risk and i see no reason (or studies) to case doubt on that.

There are a lot of deliberately misleading studies out there using "masks" (meaning FFP2 or above) used by trained people in sterile environments and applying that data to facecoverings and members of the public.
They try to equate the things as being identica. Its clearly not.
As you say the published literature shows no benefit even from respirator masks without proper placement on the face. Which is why FFP3's/N99's have the air-seal layer. And unless you do the inhale test every time on putting on,they dont work that well. No air seal, not effective.

As for the epidemiological effects during epidemics. The only strong positive effect was shown by home wearing of N95's or better when one of the household had an active infection. Or people in jobs which involved constant interaction with the public in confined spaces wore N95's. When it seemed to take the real bite out of the first wave peak. Although sending people home from work on first symptoms was almost as effective.

Apart from that, not much.