Contaminated PCR test swabs?

thinksaboutit

Re: Contaminated PCR test swabs?

Post by thinksaboutit »

jmc wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:22 pm But there again if anyone had said 18 months ago that people would be stripped of their basic human rights and the country turned into a police state based on a fraudulent epidemiological data from almost 20 years ago and what was known very early on to be little more than a very bad cold that only was a health risk to already sick frail people you would have just shook your head in pity at any poor benighted person who might believe such a fantastical situation might ever come to pass.

Would nt you?

Because that's how the Normalcy Bias works.
"Police state" Really?

Do you actually believe this?

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

"Police state" Really?

Yes, it is perfectly obvious. When the state begins to dictate innocuous behavioural edicts defended by law, what else would you call it?
The only thing is this is not merely a singular "state" it is a global mobilisation of all the institutional resources of the groups who forge institutions in order to make their will realisable in the world.
This pandemic shows a major shift in the nature of the state and the relation of institutions to people. If this was the 1970s, national state institutions would have acted to protect national interests and attempt to secure local-national solutions. What this pandemic shows is the use of all the institutional sources of power available to the elite in order to exercise their will in changing the nature of the social reality the rest of us inhabit.

jmc

Post by jmc »

thinksaboutit wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 am
jmc wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:22 pm But there again if anyone had said 18 months ago that people would be stripped of their basic human rights and the country turned into a police state based on a fraudulent epidemiological data from almost 20 years ago and what was known very early on to be little more than a very bad cold that only was a health risk to already sick frail people you would have just shook your head in pity at any poor benighted person who might believe such a fantastical situation might ever come to pass.

Would nt you?

"Police state" Really?

Well given that people have been confined for long periods of time to a small area under pain of a fine, have almost no freedom to travel, most borders are closed and even the most basic human rights set aside, and millions have had their livelihoods taken aware and are now dependent on state handouts to survive, yes its a police state. If you were familiar with actual day to day conditions of the Soviet Union and DDR pre 1989 this would all be very familiar. Actually its a bit more like Czechoslovakia in the 1970's from what my friends tell me.

And all for a novel very nasty cold virus. Yes, a perfect definition of a police state. The arbitrary and capricious setting aside of basic constitutional rights at the whim of the government and its agents.

So you must see nothing wrong with this state of affairs.

thinksaboutit

Post by thinksaboutit »

jmc wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:50 am

Would nt you?

"Police state" Really?

Well given that people have been confined for long periods of time to a small area under pain of a fine, have almost no freedom to travel, most borders are closed and even the most basic human rights set aside, and millions have had their livelihoods taken aware and are now dependent on state handouts to survive, yes its a police state. If you were familiar with actual day to day conditions of the Soviet Union and DDR pre 1989 this would all be very familiar. Actually its a bit more like Czechoslovakia in the 1970's from what my friends tell me.

And all for a novel very nasty cold virus. Yes, a perfect definition of a police state. The arbitrary and capricious setting aside of basic constitutional rights at the whim of the government and its agents.

I'm not familiar with "day to day conditions of the Soviet Union and DDR pre 1989" and I'm prepared to bet neither are you.

Most recent in a long list of things you claim to be "familiar with", while declaring that others are not. Just your methodology.

It's not a police state and your comparisons with the eastern block are absurd, which I'm sure you know.

Your compari

RichardTechnik

Post by RichardTechnik »

thinksaboutit wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:30 pm
jmc wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:50 am

"Police state" Really?

I'm not familiar with "day to day conditions of the Soviet Union and DDR pre 1989" and I'm prepared to bet neither are you.

Most recent in a long list of things you claim to be "familiar with", while declaring that others are not. Just your methodology.

It's not a police state and your comparisons with the eastern block are absurd, which I'm sure you know.

Your compari
At it again with your boring spoilt-brat style criticism and denial which as always adds the sum total of absolutely nothing to the debate.

I'm quite sure you are not familiar with "day to day conditions of the Soviet Union and DDR pre 1989. That does not entitle you to suggest others such as jmc are not. I for one am. I cannot claim to know about the whole Soviet Union but had and had visited Leningrad and corresponded for some time with a few people in Kamchatka Oblast in the far E. Re DDR I was involved in projects around late 80s and into 90s in DDR around ports and ships in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. From what jmc has commented I guess his knowledge is probably superior to mine.

You have no idea what a police state is. I have and agree that we are rapidly becoming one. Not in the exact style of SU & DDR in the 70s and 80s which would be a bit dated 40 years on but certainly fits the current time.

In your style I'll throw you a question. What are you trying to achieve here ? I'd be interested in an answer.