The Covid panic as a feedback loop

halfhearted

The Covid panic as a feedback loop

Post by halfhearted »

I'm convinced that in the UK we are now seeing a powerful & sustained signal feedback loop which is creating homeostatic levels of anxiety & existential dread. This produces alternate "tightening" & "easing" in the restrictions depending on events, real or rhetorical.

The feedback loop comprises -
1) Government organs of propaganda & psychological control & the institutions that disseminate these ideas - This is the 1st part of the transmitter.
2) The Media - This is the 2nd part of the transmitter. The media has been desperate to echo every scary warning originating from government & has added its own horror stories, especially concerning outliers which do not conform to the general rule that only the sick/elderly are at risk.
3) The Public - This is the 1st part of the receiver.
4) Broadcast & received public opinion - This is the 2nd part of the receiver & also the signal route back to the transmitter. This comprises government focus groups, opinions & motions expressed by professional organisations/trade unions (doctors, epidemiologists, faith groups, etc), opinion polls, broadcast interviews with members of the public/health workers, media reports concerning individuals with Covid & sharing views of patients & their relatives/friends etc.

The system provides +ve & -ve feedback at different times - if the government senses that people want more "action" they step up the pointless Covid precautions, constrain travel, expand "vaccine roll-out" to include children (at almost zero risk) etc - if people/businesses/community/economic leaders become frustrated with restrictions they ease them slightly. It may seem that the Government is reacting to cases/deaths but I think this is illusory.

Real epidemiological changes are largely ignored - official advisers warn of "a false sense of security" when the vaccines seem to be working - the media focused on outlier cases of young people dying when statistically this is very rare - cause of death is openly manipulated - we were having zero deaths but were still under restrictions until the "variant" appeared .

Mutation could keep the system correcting itself for years to come. New variants cause new peaks in anxiety & calls for "action" although in fact the "variants" are substantially medically the same. This could go on for another 5 years. Its' just a theory.

halfhearted

Re: The Covid panic as a feedback loop

Post by halfhearted »

halfhearted wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:30 am I'm convinced that in the UK we are now seeing a powerful & sustained signal feedback loop which is creating homeostatic levels of anxiety & existential dread....
Why have all the replies to this post been deleted. They were there, now they've gone. Why is that? Anyone??

halfhearted

Post by halfhearted »

halfhearted wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:25 pmWhy have all the replies to this post been deleted. They were there, now they've gone. Why is that? Anyone??
Well that was confusing. There are 2 instances of the original post, one has replies appended the other doesn't. The 2 original posts are separated by a couple of hours in time of posting. I don't recall posting the original post twice. Does this mean that identical posts aren't automatically deleted here? I dunno. I'm sure nobody cares apart from me but the original thread is still there. I will continue to plug my feedback loop model.

fon

Post by fon »

halfhearted wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:51 pm
halfhearted wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:25 pmWhy have all the replies to this post been deleted.
it does not matter, it is b utterly anal to note that the natural human action cycle (look it up) is a feedbacl loop, it always was and always will be.

fon

Post by fon »

halfhearted wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:25 pm Why is that? Anyone??
It's because the replies were mostly quite banal, like the original post.