Can we harness wokeness to generate anti-lockdown sentiment?

Re: Can we harness wokeness to generate anti-lockdown sentiment?

Post by 1984 »

i do think there may be some leverage here. Despite its many arguable aberrations "wokeness" does include sincere belief and commitment amongst many young people for fairness decency and morality. Their goodwill has been harnessed and commodified by opportunists and oppressors that makes my for one head er spin. If the young people are pulling down statues of Slave Owners, Presidents with mixed records, and Gynaecologists who experimented on colonised people of color, [the latter who had Surgical Instruments named after them now still in use] .... then how hard should it be to point them to recent and contemporary examples of Medical Colonialism be they examples of the effects of lockdown, vaccine testing, or the denial of cheap effective treatments. Plus of course we could steer them toward the "root causes" of some but not all POC poverty and lack of opportunity , er the WHO, UN, World Bank etc

bradw4

Post by bradw4 »

1984 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:15 pm Their goodwill has been harnessed and commodified by opportunists and oppressors that makes my for one head er spin. If the young people are pulling down statues of Slave Owners, Presidents with mixed records, and Gynaecologists who experimented on colonised people of color, [the latter who had Surgical Instruments named after them now still in use] .... then how hard should it be to point them to recent and contemporary examples of Medical Colonialism be they examples of the effects of lockdown, vaccine testing, or the denial of cheap effective treatments.
Quite so.

The Woke find oppression in statues, incorrect pronouns, 'microaggressions', and hurty words on Twitter.

Yet actual oppression - lockdown oppression - is something they're not willing to protest against. The one good reason they have to riot, they spurn it. They are beneath contempt.

Wessex One

Post by Wessex One »

1984 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:15 pm i do think there may be some leverage here. Despite its many arguable aberrations "wokeness" does include sincere belief and commitment amongst many young people for fairness decency and morality. Their goodwill has been harnessed and commodified by opportunists and oppressors that makes my for one head er spin. If the young people are pulling down statues of Slave Owners, Presidents with mixed records, and Gynaecologists who experimented on colonised people of color, [the latter who had Surgical Instruments named after them now still in use] .... then how hard should it be to point them to recent and contemporary examples of Medical Colonialism be they examples of the effects of lockdown, vaccine testing, or the denial of cheap effective treatments. Plus of course we could steer them toward the "root causes" of some but not all POC poverty and lack of opportunity , er the WHO, UN, World Bank etc
No.

Ask the black police officers they scream racial abuse at during protests/riots. Ask the black conservatives they hound. They'll deride the right as anti-science while wearing ineffective masks and supporting lockdown without evidence of us. They'll ban plastic straws and mandate plastic-microfibre masks. They'll intimidate for peace, they'll demonise to unify, they'll bully to protect the marginalized. They'll riot against capitalism and film it on an iPhone. They'll bitch about Big Tech on Twitter. They'll support companies that use sweatshop labour if that company prints a gay pride rainbow on a hat.

Wokism is moral narcissism, political theatre and an emotional attachment to displaying virtue. There is s not a shred of actual honest commitment to principles.

ScarlettR

Post by ScarlettR »

Wokeness has been a big problem for ages

I don't even want to say the words here but let's just say I've been campaigning on the problem Maya Forstater had since 2013.

Glad she won her case.

Sadly I think the woke folk have doubled down, they have something new to get on their high horse about.

Occamsrazor

Post by Occamsrazor »

Wessex One wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:50 pm
1984 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:15 pm i do think there may be some leverage here. Despite its many arguable aberrations "wokeness" does include sincere belief and commitment amongst many young people for fairness decency and morality. Their goodwill has been harnessed and commodified by opportunists and oppressors that makes my for one head er spin. If the young people are pulling down statues of Slave Owners, Presidents with mixed records, and Gynaecologists who experimented on colonised people of color, [the latter who had Surgical Instruments named after them now still in use] .... then how hard should it be to point them to recent and contemporary examples of Medical Colonialism be they examples of the effects of lockdown, vaccine testing, or the denial of cheap effective treatments. Plus of course we could steer them toward the "root causes" of some but not all POC poverty and lack of opportunity , er the WHO, UN, World Bank etc
No.

Ask the black police officers they scream racial abuse at during protests/riots. Ask the black conservatives they hound. They'll deride the right as anti-science while wearing ineffective masks and supporting lockdown without evidence of us. They'll ban plastic straws and mandate plastic-microfibre masks. They'll intimidate for peace, they'll demonise to unify, they'll bully to protect the marginalized. They'll riot against capitalism and film it on an iPhone. They'll bitch about Big Tech on Twitter. They'll support companies that use sweatshop labour if that company prints a gay pride rainbow on a hat.

Wokism is moral narcissism, political theatre and an emotional attachment to displaying virtue. There is s not a shred of actual honest commitment to principles.
Really great post. As an environmentalist, I couldn't agree more. The number of young Fuckwits who apparently desperately care about the the planet whilst constantly supporting the global corporations which make sustainable living nigh on impossible is so depressing. Clueless at best. Utterly self centred and completely cruel at worst.

bradw4

Post by bradw4 »

Wessex One wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:50 pm Ask the black police officers they scream racial abuse at during protests/riots. Ask the black conservatives they hound. They'll deride the right as anti-science while wearing ineffective masks and supporting lockdown without evidence of us. They'll ban plastic straws and mandate plastic-microfibre masks. They'll intimidate for peace, they'll demonise to unify, they'll bully to protect the marginalized. They'll riot against capitalism and film it on an iPhone. They'll bitch about Big Tech on Twitter. They'll support companies that use sweatshop labour if that company prints a gay pride rainbow on a hat.
Gloriously, devastatingly put.

This paragraph should be etched across the internet.