Can we harness wokeness to generate anti-lockdown sentiment?

bradw4

Can we harness wokeness to generate anti-lockdown sentiment?

Post by bradw4 »

Like most people on this forum, I harbour a seething contempt for the masked ovine masses and their passivity in the face of health fascism. Ours is a post-democratic society: the elected have ceded power to the unelected.

One fascinating parallel development since the outset of this dystopia has been the rise of Wokism. I don't mean its forebear, political correctness, but rather the religion of Wokism.

Its most ardent believers, essentially anyone under 35, happen to be the least vulnerable among us to Covid-19.

It is my contention that this flock’s most cherished article of faith, that whiteness is the root of all evil, is also an exploitable Achilles heel.

So sensitive are these fundamentalists to charges of racism that they recoil at anything they perceive to be an instrument of whiteness.

Tangentially, I would surmise that lockdowns have devastated ethnic minority communities; more so than the virus has. Many will have been left economically, psychologically, and educationally bereft.

(Of course, lockdown has visited ruin and misery on communities of every race. But, for rhetorical reasons, let’s park that for now.)

Yet the laptop class, those Bobo erstwhile desk jockeys able to earn a living from the comfort of their Chesterfield, appear largely no worse off than before. Some luxuriate in this Brave New World.

Interestingly, the beneficiaries of lockdown are largely white. Class is perhaps their most salient unifying characteristic, but let’s focus on race. Everyone else gets to do it, so why not lockdown sceptics?

I don’t use social media myself, as I’m generally not a fan swimming in sewers, but I do recognise the medium's unrivalled ability to circulate – and popularise – half-baked arguments. Wokism itself is a meretricious dogma balanced on a heap of faulty assumptions. Much like the nonsense position I’ve been staking out.

But, to the naïve ears of a Woke puritan, the suggestion that lockdown is a Tory policy crafted to profit white people sounds plausible.

Ergo, it would be useful to the lockdown-sceptic cause if this suggestion were broadcast across social media. I wouldn’t expect it to gain traction, but then again far more illogical claims about race have ultimately crystallised into commandments of Wokism.

As has been observable for some time, the pronoun-heavy Twitterati now determine the parameters of public discourse. If the Woke begin to demand the end of ‘racist’ lockdowns, so too will the media.

Shotclog

Re: Can we harness wokeness to generate anti-lockdown sentiment?

Post by Shotclog »

This is a very interesting suggestion. I have long puzzled over why those people who profess a wish to protect the weakest, most vulnerable and marginalised in our society (with the largest members of this group being non-white) have nevertheless acted as shills for lockdown which has damaged that cohort the most. I have tried to make this point to my MP, whose USP is supposed to be her role as champion of the BAME community, in letter after letter. I have got absolutely nowhere-she hasn't even recognised it is a problem and I have received nothing back other than cut-and-paste nonsense about the "public health emergency".

Turning the tide of groupthink will not be easy. But I do tend to the view that changing young people's views will be key. They, as a cohort, have really suffered and I sense (but this is purely anecdotal) that anger in that group is rising as restrictions continue. Since I am not on social media, I have no idea how this could be achieved, but at this stage if harnessing wokism is a possible way out of this madness, I'd be prepared to support anything!

Wessex One

Post by Wessex One »

Yes and no. You are correct that LD impacts minorities disproportionately. We could try to leverage that. We could also leverage the fact that minorities are more reluctant to be jabbed as a reason to oppose COVID passports. I wrote to my Labour MP using this last angle and she agreed that also opposed C passports, I guess because many of her constituents are minorities.

No because the line that the middle class hid and had the working class deliver their shopping, sweep the streets and repair their boilers etc has already not worked. The Labour party should have opposed LD on behalf of the working class but they backed extra severe LD.

In short, the racism aspect - albeit tangential/coincidental rather than planned - carries no weight because backing LD is a tribal identity not a matter or political conviction or of logic. You might persuade a few people but you'll never persuade leftists on a large scale because leftists tend to be both authoritarian and collectivist - which matches the LD/C passport outlook. Note how little traction anti-LD views have had outside of Left LD Sceptics. Virtually no Lab politicians have opposed LD/C passports.

Wessex One

Post by Wessex One »

I should add that backing LD is also a temperamental thing. If one is naturally timid then one embraces big government, MSM, LD, C passports. So it isn't a matter of "I joined this tribe by choice and I'm not swayed", more that one's temperament determines one's outlook and one finds data to support that outlook.

On the positive side, the woke/SJW stuff shows how pliable people are. If one party and a few major broadcasters/newspapers took the "hurting minorities" line, suddenly you could see a sea change in public opinion. LD itself has been a massive display of how easily masses are swayed.

In short, if the woke angle is the one you want to try, go for influencers and social media personalities and pundits, seeing as you won't get access to party leaders or broadcasting editors (or their advisors). Trying the sway the general population through word of mouth is a waste of time, I think.

bradw4

Post by bradw4 »

Wessex One wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:14 am In short, the racism aspect - albeit tangential/coincidental rather than planned - carries no weight because backing LD is a tribal identity not a matter or political conviction or of logic. You might persuade a few people but you'll never persuade leftists on a large scale because leftists tend to be both authoritarian and collectivist - which matches the LD/C passport outlook. Note how little traction anti-LD views have had outside of Left LD Sceptics. Virtually no Lab politicians have opposed LD/C passports.
That's a fair point.

I don't profess to be the originator of this particular sophism - no doubt lots of people have already deployed it to no effect. But cynical times call for cynical measures, which is why I reasoned that rhetorical manipulation might help somewhat.

You're also right in saying that the political class - our noble bien-pensants - remain unresponsive to this argument. Having also contacted my MP to lobby for greater opposition to the lockdown, I similarly received an impersonal, cut-and-paste riposte citing discredited scientific models. Its a dead end.

The observation that young people are key to ending the lockdown is a shrewd one. Yet, despite their invulnerability to Covid, they represent a contingent quite firmly in favour of lockdown and related totalitarian measures. It's collective Stockholm Syndrome.

But , I suppose, this is the normative power of social media.

Has this country ever before produced such a spineless, chinless, complaisant generation? It's as though the impulsive desire to resist authority that manifested in previous generations has been intentionally bred out of these corporate-aligned little shits.

I'm not even an old man. But the obedience of youngsters (under 35) defies belief. It's pathetic.

Noumenon

Post by Noumenon »

I'm not sure where you get your impressions from but I find your characterisation of young people fairly disgusting. I know several under 35, including myself, who've expressed serious reservations about all of this and we know the marches have had many young people on them. I know older people who'd happily keep lockdowns going indefinitely. Older people have also been the ones imposing them.

You won't convince "woke" people because it's already a "woke" movement. It is "woke" to the plight of the pathogenically "vulnerable". You are demanding logical consistency of an emotional movement. Give up on it.

funtimes

Post by funtimes »

Wokeness is about not being safe and needing to live in a bubble of (perceived) safety in order to not be hurt or exposed to the many things in life that we least prefer to accept exist, and sometimes even the things we actually do prefer exist. Things have to change because the world we lived in before was not safe and there were many things that were extremely bad and that we must erase our history and memoryhole everything that does not fit with the new and current paradigm - so we all can be safe.

Wokeness is a political ideology like any other. Its a lot like some of the least favourable ideologies, many in the Western world if they were educated enough on would be contributing towards eradicating, communism being one main example. But its been offered in a way the Western world can relate to while at the same time destroying this relativeness in order to bring in a new form of oppression.

Of course its an oppression that seeks to benefit everybody, especially the marginalized. Every tyrant says they work for the oppressed. In time though? The oppressed become everybody when everybody falls in line with the tyrant. Of course he is doing all this to keep you safe while he himself is the biggest threat.

So can we use wokeness to generate anti-lockdown sentiment? The solution is to fix the current system, not bring in a completely new system that people actually dont want if they were aware of what it entails in the long term. Creating a bigger problem to solve an already existent problem doesnt work. So no, is the answer.

bradw4

Post by bradw4 »

Noumenon wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:24 pm I'm not sure where you get your impressions from but I find your characterisation of young people fairly disgusting.
I got this impression from the hysterical tantrum that hundreds of thousands of young people threw on the streets last summer. You know, attacking police officers, tearing down statues; a broiling orgy of wanton civil disorder. And not just in London, but across the country.

I'm of the millennial generation myself, so it's not a product of my imagination.

To suggest that my characterisation of millenials and zoomers is somehow unfair is risible. Look at survey data; look at voting data; peruse social media; witness the destruction wrought by these people last summer - it was not insignificant. It was not a small number involved, either.

We're talking about thoroughly radicalised generations. If you're not a Woke believer, that is to your credit; but that puts you in a minority among your peers.

What's more, I'm not letting older people off the hook. In my previous posts on this forum, I've often berated them for their selfishness. I know from personal experience that they are, in large part, an ungrateful generation. They simply don't appreciate what young people - myself included - have sacrificed to keep them alive. That lockdowns have been proved ineffective makes it all the more galling.

But if we are to end these restrictions, young people - myself included - must effect this change. I really don't care how it happens, but happen it must. If lockdowns could be successfully branded as racist, that would help.
Noumenon wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:24 pm You are demanding logical consistency of an emotional movement. Give up on it.
No arguments there. I never expected logical consistency. I just want to stir the mob to end the lockdown.

bradw4

Post by bradw4 »

funtimes wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 pm Wokeness is about not being safe and needing to live in a bubble of (perceived) safety in order to not be hurt or exposed to the many things in life that we least prefer to accept exist, and sometimes even the things we actually do prefer exist. Things have to change because the world we lived in before was not safe and there were many things that were extremely bad and that we must erase our history and memoryhole everything that does not fit with the new and current paradigm - so we all can be safe.
Exactly. A perfect distillation of the prevailing cultural psychosis.
funtimes wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 pm So can we use wokeness to generate anti-lockdown sentiment? The solution is to fix the current system, not bring in a completely new system that people actually dont want if they were aware of what it entails in the long term. Creating a bigger problem to solve an already existent problem doesnt work. So no, is the answer.
Ending the lockdown is priority number one. Defeating Wokism comes later; if it's even possible at this point. I certainly don't support Wokism, but reversing it is a longer-term undertaking. Curtailing Covid tyranny requires immediate attention.

How Wokism can be fought is another discussion altogether.

jrrm

Post by jrrm »

Not sure that will work. As lockdown works for the twitterati, they'll find some way to rationalise how it's good for everyone, including the poor oppressed.