Community Masking

Treatments and their effectiveness, herd immunity, masks, testing, etc.
ChrisBateman

Community Masking

Post by ChrisBateman »

Hi all,
I'm a game designer who has worked from home for twenty years now, so in that respect the lockdown et al didn't affect me much - apart from the terrifying withdrawal of civil rights and the utter collapse of scientific discourse, anyway. :cry:

I moonlight as a philosopher, and since academic philosophers have been largely complicit in undoing almost all the good that was done by the Enlightenment in just one short year, I recently set off on a series of philosophy of science blog posts that I like to call "The Magical Science Campaign" to try and explore how we got here and (hopefully) what we might change going forward.

Anyway, for anyone who might be interested in my examination of how the British medical community came to be in the bizarre situation of mandating community masking and then doing no research whatsoever about its effectiveness, I analysed in great depth the 2020 discourse in the UK about community masking, in this piece "A Case Study in Pseudoscience":
https://onlyagame.typepad.com/only_a_ga ... ience.html

Whatever your situation: keep going!

Chris.

Kevin Finnerty

Re: Community Masking

Post by Kevin Finnerty »

Thanks for the article, Chris. Your website looks fascinating and I look forward to exploring it further.

Jane G

Post by Jane G »

Very interesting essay. I wish it could be openly discussed, but the situation it describes is the very reason it probably won't be.

Keep musing - my belief is that the truth can only come from those with no axe to grind either way.

DanClarke

Post by DanClarke »

Very interesting. I agree most people have already decided, no one could actually persuade me that this virus which most of us have not had, know no one who has either warrants the muzzling of people to live their life.

StPiosCafe

Post by StPiosCafe »

ChrisBateman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:31 am Hi all,
I'm a game designer who has worked from home for twenty years now
Make it snappier. Nobody knows if masks do any good, and anyway it's hard to think of an ethical experiment to use to test their effect. If it were easy we'd have done it.

Splatt

Post by Splatt »

StPiosCafe wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:54 pmNobody knows if masks do any good, and anyway it's hard to think of an ethical experiment to use to test their effect. If it were easy we'd have done it.
We've done many RCTs into mask use against ILIs. Nothing unethical about it at all.

The WHO summarised 10 of them here WAY back in err 2019:

Science is based on proof-positive. You have to prove an effect not prove a negative.
Nothing so far has suggested they do work.

Even the ECDC last month came out as stating theres no evidence community nappies work.

rubber duck

Post by rubber duck »

ChrisBateman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:31 am Hi all,
I'm a game designer who has worked from home for twenty years now, so in that respect the lockdown et al didn't affect me much - apart from the terrifying withdrawal of civil rights and the utter collapse of scientific discourse, anyway. :cry:

I moonlight as a philosopher, and since academic philosophers have been largely complicit in undoing almost all the good that was done by the Enlightenment in just one short year, I recently set off on a series of philosophy of science blog posts that I like to call "The Magical Science Campaign" to try and explore how we got here and (hopefully) what we might change going forward.

Anyway, for anyone who might be interested in my examination of how the British medical community came to be in the bizarre situation of mandating community masking and then doing no research whatsoever about its effectiveness, I analysed in great depth the 2020 discourse in the UK about community masking, in this piece "A Case Study in Pseudoscience":
https://onlyagame.typepad.com/only_a_ga ... ience.html

Whatever your situation: keep going!

Chris.
Thank you Chris, I enjoyed reading your article and exchanges in the comments section. Keep posting!