PCR tests £210

Travel discussion, reports from abroad, etc.
theoldkungflu

PCR tests £210

Post by theoldkungflu »

The government website states that you must have two covid PCR tests on days 2 and 8 of your quarantine upon arrival to the UK, from non-red list countries
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quar ... in-england
It linkshttps://quarantinehotels.ctmportal.co.u ... /Home.aspx to a site that provides the tests, so that is £105 a test, when the real cost of a test is £5. I have this cost information from an NHS nurse source and elsewhere on the web.

This company, CTM has an agreement with the government going back to 2018, but has taken on COVID work recently. https://www.crowncommercial.gov.uk/agreements/RM6016

This £210 appears to be a profiteering racket. This needs to be challenged and brought to the attention of someone or some public body who can champion the right of the public to a realistically priced PCR test. One would think it has been deliberately priced high and that there could be SAGE type people and MPs, who may have a financial interest in these tests being so pricey???

Has anyone else looked into this?

Splatt

Re: PCR tests £210

Post by Splatt »

I suspect a lot of it is priced as such to try to stop people going abroad in the first place.

Don't forget if you want 5 day test and release you can pay for an extra THIRD test!

Its more likely down to the complete inability of the government to negotiate a contract and the supplier knew they were desperate, under time pressure and would settle for any figure suggested.

burke19

Post by burke19 »

The price of testing in the UK is generally high and I would say £210 for 2 tests is probably just below the going rate. I recently returned from Germany and had a test done there for less than £60, but given the government's intention of reducing travel I feel it would be rather unrewarding to attempt to remove the snouts from the UK PCR trough; especially as the feeding pigs may be friends of government ministers and advisors.

Splatt

Post by Splatt »

Last PCR i had was £80.
One before that was £60

£210 is well over that (at £105 per test).

theoldkungflu

Post by theoldkungflu »

Can't you order a kit for home, to send off. I mean christ! - they are only £5!

OrangeAlternative

Post by OrangeAlternative »

My friend returned from Holland with her two kids. She was told that she only needed to test herself before traveling, not the kids but that the two tests after arrival (to be done in quarantine) had to be booked for all three of them, at the cost of £630! She tried to arrange some cheaper or free tests but was told that they can only be these official tests as it's very important that they are done at specified times (day 2 and 8 of the quarantine). So she paid the £630 only to discover that the tests didn't arrive on time and were going to be delivered a week late!!! She got understandably angry and claimed her money back from the credit card company. We will see how it all ends...

Splatt

Post by Splatt »

There have been quite a few people receiving the tests well after the supposed sample date.

ScepitcAl

Post by ScepitcAl »

This is indeed true, it is in fact a rip off dressed up as a do-gooding exercise.

The published reason for the providers of these test being ‘cherry-picked’ is so that they can test for new variants of the virus being brought into the country. I smell a cash-cow here...

I am no expert in how this is administrated but I imagine it would incur higher costs to the testing company.

BUT,

having had to have two tests to get into the uk, for 99.99% of people now coming into the uk would test negative after days 2, 5 and 8 and therefore nearly all the tests would go through the basic test process, return a negative result and then binned..

Splatt

Post by Splatt »

All tests coming in are sequenced yes but thats NOT done by the test provider company.
All they do is send off the swab to a government sponsored sequencing lab.

So nope, the cost to company or end user is nothing extra there.

To me its nothing but profiteering combined with trying to make travel as unappealing as possible to as many people as possible.

loa453

Post by loa453 »

May I point out that the only "proof" required at the border that you've booked these tests is an email/invoice and some kind of reference number.

Do you catch my drift?