Just a reminder....the good vaccines.

Treatments and their effectiveness, herd immunity, masks, testing, etc.
jmc

Just a reminder....the good vaccines.

Post by jmc »

One of the most striking things while digging through vaccine literature is just what a good job the standard childhood vaccines and other vaccines do. The ones that all went through the standard vaccine clinical testing and approval process. Very low adverse reaction rates and mostly very good to great levels of efficacy.

I received all the standard childhood vaccinations (although just missed out on smallpox) but I was recently checking up on whether any of them needed boosters etc. Plus what the newer vaccines offer. The one vaccine that does seem to need a 10 year booster is the Tdap vaccine (diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis) so it looks like I am overdue so a booster shot. So I'll be getting one of those soon.

One of the newer vaccines which really caught my attention is the new vaccine for shingles. I have known far too many people who got shingles to treat it lightly and it looks like the new vaccine gives far better protection than the old one. The number look both good and very plausible. So that looks like another shot I will be getting soon.

So for older people definitely check to see if you need a Tdap booster. And it seems the new shingles vaccine is something we should all look into. And if you have not had chickenpox then the vaccine for that looks pretty good as well. Shingles usually does not kill but I have seen first-hand just how utterly miserable it can make peoples lives for an extended period of time. Years in some cases. So an effective shingles vaccine looks like a very good medical risk / reward investment .

Although some people here want to paint as "anti-vax" those of us who have very legitimate reasons for being very dubious about the safety and efficacy of the current SARs CoV 2 vaccines its not that we are "anti-vax", we are just anti this particular vaccine at this particular moment. Pretty much everyone I've read here tends to be like me, very pro vaccination and very aware of the huge public health benefits they bring. But very much against the current mass vaccination using an experimental SARs CoV 2 vaccine for purely political reasons. Which is what is happening at the moment.

burke19

Re: Just a reminder....the good vaccines.

Post by burke19 »

Very informative post JMC. Some supporting anecdotes and tips from my side:
1...I don't know how common shingles is, but I suffered with it miserably for at least 2 months. After this I found out that the vaccine is recommended by the NHS if you're over 70, but based on my experience this should be reduced to around 50 (as it is in Germany). With hindsight I would have paid for the vaccine myself, which you can do with the NHS.
2...I knew a person who caught chicken pox when he was around 30 years old - it was seriously unfunny and he bitterly regretted not having caught it as a child.
3...With the lockdown many people are working more in gardens. If you are one of them then making sure you're Tetanus booster is up to date is a good idea (I think it's every 10 years).
4...From my side lockdown has driven me out of the garden in which I worked more or less full time and in which I used to catch around 5 ticks each year. So if the lockdown has generally driven you more into contact with nature then it's a good idea to check yourself for ticks each evening and definitely get a tick removal tool.

I recently chose to decline the Covid vaccine, but have the feeling that the government, and many facets of society in general, will impose systems which will effectively remove this choice. It's really quite depressing.

midlandsagainstlockdown

Re: Just a reminder....the good vaccines.

Post by midlandsagainstlockdown »

burke19 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:52 am I recently chose to decline the Covid vaccine, but have the feeling that the government, and many facets of society in general, will impose systems which will effectively remove this choice. It's really quite depressing.
Exactly. But given that one of the agendas of the lockdown has been to instigate lifestyle changes, it could just mean not being allowed access to venues that have been closed for most, if not all, of the past eleven months anyway, theatres, cinemas, restaurants, pubs etc.

The real danger comes with the 'conspiracy theory' of a Certificate Of Vaccination ID being used more widely than that in business areas where 'vaccination' status should be of no relevance.