Dominic Raab makes things clear...

donald

Dominic Raab makes things clear...

Post by donald »

Our Foreign Secretary was very clear about the next stage of the road map. This is what he told Andrew Marr: 'We want to get to a position at the end of June were we can get life to as normal as possible but there needs to be some safeguards in place. It will be around distancing, maybe there will something around masks but I don't want to prejudge it. These are just some of the options.'

This really means: 'I haven't got a clue. After all, I'm only Foreign Secretary. We in the Cabinet can only do what we're told by scientists. And since scientists are always based on evidence, they generally get things right. That's my understanding of science. And that's why the public can rely on what we tell them. If we're tellling you to wear masks next Christmas, and order you to stand less than a metre away from a stranger, it's for your own good. Of course, I myself might be PM by December - in which case, we'll be on a different road map altogether. And I will be steering the car, getting nearer and nearer back to normal...'

Splatt

Re: Dominic Raab makes things clear...

Post by Splatt »

He made it very clear they have no plans to end this on June 21st regardless of data.

CoronanationStreet

Post by CoronanationStreet »

Was it ever thus. Now it seems clear pubs will not be opening at all in a normal sense after 21 June. The govt suggestion that masks will still be needed after that date "whilst moving around" and one way systems implies either there will be tier regulations requiring customers to be seated at tables only or that customers have to wear masks whilst standing up drinking a pint. The latter is wildly illogical so it must be the former. The continued attack on pubs and hospitality venues operating at capacity will gradually kill more of them off as many breweries/pubcos will apply rent from this month onwards.

Those operating without an element of turnover rent will be hit hardest and probably out of business by the end of the year unless they can get back to full operating capacity: no masks, no social distancing, no vaccine passports, no restrictions on numbers.

As you say the govt doesn't want "normal". I'm at a loss to know why.

Splatt

Post by Splatt »

CoronanationStreet wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:19 am As you say the govt doesn't want "normal". I'm at a loss to know why.
They're terrified of normal just in case some hypothetical that doesn't exist that might exist at some point on time causes a problem.

This is the precautionary princiniple on steroids now - utterly terrified to go back to normal "just in case".

Boris is a human jellyfish - no backbone at all. So beaten and brainwashed by the extremists advising him he's too scared to do anything "just in case".

Ironic really given one of his main anti EU views was its over reliant on the precautionary principle meaning it cant react effectively to anything....

Theres no sensible evaluation of risk, no balance of personal freedom. Nothing.
Life is just terrifying for him now.

Also forget pubs, Raab seemed quite happy to admit that masks will remain in shops, transport, one way systems, stupid plastic screens. All of that which makes life visibily abnormal is set to remain.

CoronanationStreet

Post by CoronanationStreet »

Indeed, I only use pubs (and other hospitality venues) as an example as they have been most unfairly scapegoated over the last 14 months in comparison to supermarkets. "Non-essential" retail has of course also been hard hit.

One wonders when the "dates" click round whether "The Science" based on the "data" will support what he is suggesting.

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Surely if the sacrifice of your sphere of existence is so extraordinary then it makes no sense given the extent of the threat and resources should be concentrated on dealing with sick people not developing an infrastructure around something that might never have been a significant threat in the first place unless it had be signified as a threat by the people supposed to protect us from such eventualities? I saw a doctor talking who said they had spent £1 billion on the test-and-trace system! They reduced NHS capacity by 50% over the last decade but then spent astronomical sums on a virus that would not affect many of the population (children, many adults carry immunity). The PCR test was, basically, detecting people who had successfully resisted the virus anyway but they were then defined as "carriers", even though the idea of asymptomatic spread is a fiction.
Are the contradictions manifestations of incompetence or malign intentions? One possible explanation is that they want us reduced in our sphere of existence to the bare functions they need us to perform and shopping in chain stores or online is a legitimate economic function they need people to perform but then why not churches and other such places? One possible explanation is to look at the function of churches or pubs and other sites that are sources of public identity from which people derive a sense of personal efficacy. Once reason to make them inaccessible is to efface their public function. The regulations on distancing and masking attack the basis of voluntary associations that are separate from the state the economy in which communication occurs and ideas are shared so that people deal with the anxieties and pressures that arise from the society in which they live and form spontaneous coalitions. People have allowed these to be removed. The state has acted like an abusive agency in that it has actively elicited the behaviours it has then sought to punish. This was always going to be the problem with enforcing senseless, impractical policies. It makes sense to quarantine or lockdown an infected area or population in an area but not a whole society. Human beings are not a natural kind, the social realm is the condition of their being, they require access to this sphere in order for cognitive function, just as they need to experience co-presence. All masking does is heighten the sense of anonymity that is part of the depersonalisation characteristic of stigmatised groups which mutilates identity.
Given that masks are not effective and that the virus enters air flow and can travel for many metres (I forgot what I read it was), and given that it is little more than flu, none of it makes sense but it is perfectly clear that the global state is going to attempt to perpetuate distance-standing and masking as long as they can. The potential threat will be re-signified perpetually to sustain the new cultural conditions. But, with a new global market for vaccines now open, they will perpetuate this eternally in order to push more of the vaccines that will already be in production. It is truly Orwellian:

Totalitarianism: A society living by and for continuous warfare in which the ruling caste have ceased to have any real connection but succeed in clinging to power through force and fraud. George Orwell.

ScarlettR

Post by ScarlettR »

Splatt "This is the precautionary princiniple on steroids now"

This is brilliantly phrased!

Idon't watch news but I cannot bear false hope so I tend to just assume the earliest time a normal (that I consider normal) can happen is after the end of the Act in 2022.

donald

Post by donald »

This is what I expect (demand?) by July:

1) No compulsory wearing of masks in shops or public transport.

2) Ability to enter a pub, approach the bar, order a drink, take the drink, and then either sit down at the bar or at a table. No compulsory masks.

3) Doctors' surgeries with their doors open i.e. the ability to walk in and make an appointment.

THIS IS HARDLY UNREASONABLE, IS IT?

Splatt

Post by Splatt »

Better off demanding the exact same legal rights you had in Feb 2020 and all legislation regarding it since then repealed.

It wont happen though. There's no political will.